Sewn Gardener's apron
Sewn Gardener's Apron
- Powder blue canvas, 1/2 yd.
- Green gingham fabric, 1/4 yd.
- Floral-print fabric, 5”x27”
- Bias tape, 1/2”-wide, 1 yd.
- Coordinating-color thread
- Plaid Simply Stencils: Spring Butterflies
- Plaid FolkArt Fabric Paint Brush On: Wicker White, Berry Wine, Engine Red, Yellow Ochre
- Plaid Mod Podge Fabric
- Stencil brush
- Sewing machine
- scissors, measuring tape or ruler, sponge scrap, straight pins, iron
- 1. Measure and cut 15"x30" powder blue canvas rectangle, 7"x27" green gingham rectangle, 3"x59" green gingham rectangle, and 5"x27" floral-print fabric rectangle.
- 2. On two blue canvas fabric scraps, stencil two different butterflies from Spring Butterflies design on center of scraps. Use sponge scrap to dab Berry Wine on wings on first layer. Dab Yellow Ochre on body and antennas. Use mixture of Engine Red and Wicker White to create pink color. Dab pink on wing tips. Let dry. Cut out butterfly designs.
- 3. Fold blue canvas rectangle in half, width-wise, creating apron shape. Use scissors to round corners of apron.
- 4. Iron blue canvas apron sides and bottom folding over twice to conceal raw edges. Pin and stitch.
- 5. Iron 3"x59" green gingham rectangle in half lengthwise. Iron raw edges under 1/2". Position green gingham piece at top of blue canvas apron, aligning center points. Pin and stitch.
- 6. Sew bias tape along one long edge of 7"x27" green gingham rectangle. Repeat process sewing bias tape along one long edge of floral-print rectangle. Iron and press raw edges 1/2" over on both bias-tape rectangles.
- 7. Position green gingham rectangle (with bias tape) on blue canvas rectangle, 3-1/2" up from bottom edge. Pin and stitch sides and bottom.
- 8. Position floral rectangle on blue canvas rectangle, 4-1/2" from bottom edge. Pin and stitch sides and bottom.
- 9. Measure 4" from edge of pocket and stitch from bias tape to bottom of pocket. Measure 8" from edge of pocket and stitch from bias tape to bottom of pocket. Repeat on other side.
- 10. Apply Mod Podge Fabric on back of both painted butterflies. Position butterflies on apron. Apply top coat of Mod Podge Fabric onto both painted butterflies. Let dry.