This cute country chick is perfect to decorate your front porch or family room this Easter.
- Fabrics: natural homespun, 3/8 yd.; brown burlap, 1/2 yd.
- Wool felt: white, sage green, yellow, pink, gold
- Pillow form, 14"x14"
- Assorted buttons: ivory flat, 5/8", four; white with shank, 7/8"
- Black bead, 3/16"
- Tea-dyed pink ribbon, 1/2"-wide, 1/2 yd.
- Jute twine
- Brown embroidery floss
- Black perle cotton, #12
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Needles: sewing, embroidery
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- scissors, ruler, straight pins, dryer
Pattern - Chick Pillow
- 1. Size is 14"x14".
- Chick Pillow
- 1. Cut two 15" squares from burlap. With right sides facing, machine-sew squares together 1/2" from edges, leaving 12" opening along one side for turning. Trim corners of seam allowance. Turn pillow right side out through opening. Insert pillow form. Hand-sew opening closed.
- 2. Cut four 9"x15" rectangles from homespun fabric. Stack rectangles together in pairs. Machine-sew 1/2" from edges around rectangle pairs. Make cuts into seam allowance 1/4" apart to within 1/8" of stitching for fringe. Wet fringe and dry in dryer to fray.
- 3. Cut three 3"x8" strips from green felt. Cut 1" fringe 1/4" apart across top long edge of each strip for grass. Pin first strip to one homespun rectangle. (Note: Bottom of green rectangle should be 3-1/2" from stitched bottom edge of homespun rectangle.) Use three strands floss to blanket stitch along side edges of green rectangle and just under fringe. Pin second green rectangle to homespun rectangle. (Note: Bottom of green rectangle should be 1-3/4" from stitched bottom edge of homespun rectangle.) Blanket stitch in same way as first green rectangle. Pin remaining green rectangle across bottom of homespun rectangle and blanket stitch in same way as before.
- 4. Print out patterns. Cut egg shape from white felt, chick (except wing) from yellow felt, and beak from gold felt. Pin shapes to homespun rectangle, placing egg behind fringe in center section of grass. Use one strand perle cotton to blanket stitch around outside edges of felt pieces. Use floss to sew black bead (eye) on chick.
- 5. Cut two wing shapes from yellow felt. Stack wings together and blanket stitch around them, stuffing filberfill between shapes before closing. Sew assembled wing to chick, using blind stitch in back. Tie ribbon bow and sew to chick under beak.
- 6. For flower, cut 2"x6" strip from pink felt. Cut random-width fringe in strip to within 1/4" of one long edge. Roll uncut edge into circle and sew to secure roll. Sew roll to top corner of homespun rectangle and flatten for flower. Sew white button to flower center.
- 7. Sew ivory buttons to sides of homespun rectangle 3-1/2" from top and bottom edges.
- 8. Stack pairs of rectangles together and sew 1/2" from edges on short sides to join (using same stitching as before).
- 9. Place assembled homespun cover over burlap pillow, centering it from side to side. Wrap jute pieces around buttons at sides of homespun rectangles and tie bows at sides of pillow.
- 1. Appliqué hatched chick pattern to other surfaces, such as tote bags, sweatshirts, aprons, and more.