size: size varies
- Clear glass votives in assorted sizes
- STAEDTLER FIMO: Effect Translucent Clay, Gloss Varnish (optional)
- Metallic silver mica powder
- Lace doily
- Modeling tools (optional)
- Pasta machine
- Acrylic roller or straight edge drinking glass
- craft knife, fine-tooth sandpaper
- 1. Working on smooth surface, knead clay with hands until soft and pliable. Use an acrylic roller or straight edge drinking glass to roll out flat.
- 2. Cover glass votive working from middle to outside with thin sheet of rolled out clay. Remove any air bubbles by smoothing over clay with finger. Use craft knife to cut off any excess clay along top and bottom glass edges. Press clay evenly onto glass. Carefully line up side edges where clay meets and cut off excess so there's no overlap. Smooth seam with fingers.
- 3. Position lace doily on glass. Roll over doily using acrylic roller to emboss pattern into clay. Carefully peel doily off.
- 4. Use finger to gently rub metallic powder only over elevated areas. Bake votives in oven following manufacturer's instructions; let cool completely. Clay becomes translucent when hardened in oven. Dampen a fine-tooth sanding sheet and gently smooth over edges and surface of votive. Finish by varnishing entire lantern with gloss or spray varnish to seal metallic powder.