Easter Egg Surprise
Moss & Lotus
Easter Egg Surprise
- Wood ostrich egg, one
- Polyform Sculpey White UltraLight Clay, two
- Polyform Sculpey Clay: Purple; Just Orange; Lemonade; Black; Leaf Green, two; Dusty Rose, 1/2; scraps in color of choice
- Polyform Sculpey Translucent Liquid Sculpey
- Clay conditioning machine
- Soft bristle brush
- Oval clay cutter, 2-1/2”
- Clay tools: clay knife; ball stylus; acrylic roller: 1/16”, 1/2”
- Polyform Premo! Mini Metal Cutters: Flower, Leaf
- Plastic cake decorator bag and tip
- ruler, craft stick, wet wipes, craft mat, parchment-lined baking sheet, zippered plastic bag or cup
- 1. Run each clay separately through clay conditioning machine before combining colors. For purple egg, mix (1:1) mixture of Purple and White. For green leaves and grass, mix (2:1/4) mixture of Leaf Green and White. For pink flowers, bunny ears and nose, mix (1:1) mixture of Dusty Rose and White to make three 1" balls. Set aside.
- 2. Run purple clay mix through clay conditioning machine to 1/4" thickness. Form around wooden egg until smooth with no air bubbles. Set down on parchment-lined baking pan, pressing lightly to create flat bottom for egg to stand upright. Press texture into surface of egg with soft bristle brush.
- 3. Press oval cookie cutter into egg front for opening. Cut oval seam through entire clay thickness with clay knife. Bake egg for half the time recommended by manufacturer's instructions at 170°F or less; let cool. Cut egg in half lengthwise with oval opening on one side using clay knife. Gently remove clay from wooden egg. Finish baking cut clay eggshell following manufacturer's instructions. Let cool completely.
- 4. For bunny ears, roll two 3/4" long teardrop snakes from white and two 1/2" long teardrop snakes from pink clay. Gently press to flatten. Stack flattened pink teardrops onto flattened white teardrop; repeat to make second ear. (Note: Step out model uses pink clay with white accents; final design uses the opposite. Customize however you see fit.)
- 5. For bunny's body, flatten 1/3" ball of pink from Step 1 into oval shape. Place onto front of 1" White ball. For legs, roll two thick 1-1/2" long white snakes. Flatten and round ends of each snake. Press up one end to create feet. Draw paw lines on feet using back of clay knife. Attach to body.
- 6. For arms, roll two 1" white snakes with blunt ends. Press wrist and paw lines onto one end of each snake using back of clay knife. Bake ears, body, legs and arms following manufacturer's instructions; let cool completely and set aside.
- 7. For head, roll 3/4" ball from white clay. Flatten two 1/4" balls from white clay and place on face as shown. Make impressions for whiskers using 1/8" ball stylus. Flatten small white ball and add for nose as shown. Make impressions for eyes using 1/8" ball stylus. Add two 1/8" black balls for eyes and previously baked ears onto head; apply Liquid Sculpey if needed. Bake following manufacturers instructions. Let cool.
- 8. For flowers, roll pink clay to 1/8" thick. Cut seven flowers of various sizes using mini flower cutter. Press into each flower petal and center with 1/4" ball stylus. Form seven 1/4" balls from Lemonade and place onto center of each flower. For leaves, roll Leaf Green to 1/8" thick. Cut out five leaves using mini leaf cutter. Press leaf veins into surface using back of clay knife.
- 9. For mini eggs, gently mix 1/4" ball of white with 1/4" ball of each color to create swirled look. Form into small balls then pinch one end into egg shape. Bake flowers, leaves and mini eggs following manufacturer's instructions. Let cool.
- 10. For carrot, roll 1/2" Just Orange ball into 1/2" long snake with one end slightly pointed. Press random lines using back of clay knife. Roll seven angel-hair thin strands of green clay, 1/2" long each. Flatten and attach to large end of carrot. Do not bake yet.
- 11. For grass, roll green into 1/4" thick sheet and cut into 1"x6" strips. Pinch along one long end of each strip to create ruffled edge. Curl strip loosely into a finished diameter that fits inside eggshell piece. Leave space in center for bunny. Arrange bunny in center of grass. Add carrot and mini eggs as shown. Adhere back of eggshell and bake following manufacturer's instructions. Let cool.
- 12. For clay frosting, pinch 1/4 package of White into small pieces. Place pieces inside plastic cup or zipper bag. Add Liquid Sculpey 1/2 ounce at a time and let pieces soak for 15 minutes or more to soften. Once soft, stir gently with craft stick until combined and smooth, adding more Liquid Sculpey as needed for peanut-butter consistency. Put into plastic cake decorator bag with tip.
- 13. Pipe clay frosting around opening of egg and add flowers and leaves. Bake for five minutes until firm. Let cool. Pipe around seam and add flowers and leaves to top. Bake following manufacturer's instructions. Let cool.