This idea was originally published in our 2016 Holiday issue. Subscribe today and save off newsstand prices! You’ll get ALL the projects delivered to you in six jam-packed issues per year.
*tip: Always protect your workspace before beginning. Polymer clay may stain and damage unprotected surfaces.
1. Carefully punch holes into tops of lids using hammer and awl.
2. Sheet Red Glitter through clay conditioning machine on the thickest setting. Make sheet long enough to wrap around one of the jars and wide enough to cover it top to bottom.
3. Cut straight edge along one short end. Wrap clay around jar and trim end to form a neat seam. Smooth seam with fingers.
4. Gently form clay to shape of jar and bend it around bottom edge of jar as shown. Use circle cutter to trim bottom edge of clay neatly. Remove excess and smooth edge with fingers.
5. Gently form clay to shape of jar working toward top. Trim away excess clay.
6. Roll Frost White Glitter into skinny snakes and cut off 1” and 2” lengths as shown. Taper ends of white snakes and form curls. Add four curl decorations on opposite sides as shown.
7. Add more curls as you like all around the shaker. Lightly press decorations so they attach to red clay but don’t smash them.
8. Add tiny pearls of white with small Etch n’ Pearl tool.
9. Repeat Steps 1-8 on second jar with green clay to make a set of shakers. Bake at 275 °F for 30 minutes; let cool. (Note: Shakers should be hand washed and dried immediately after. Do not place in dishwasher.) Fill with salt and pepper.