Snowflake Clay Buttons
size: 1-1/4" diameter
Snowflake Clay Buttons
Block of Clay
- Polyform Premo! Sculpey Oven-Bake Clay: Ultramarine Blue, White
- Polyform Sculpey Tools: Clay Conditioning Machine, Acrylic Roller, Super Slicer
- ruler, craft knife, toothpick or coffee stirrer, parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
- 1. Working with clean hands and parchment-lined baking sheet, knead clay until soft and smooth. Wash hands between each color change.
- 2. Condition clay separately by running through clay conditioning machine on widest setting. Fold clay in half after each pass and insert folded side into rollers first.
- 3. Make 1/2"x6" Ultramarine Blue square log; cut into four equal lengths. Run White clay through clay conditioning machine on setting #1 and stack two 5-1/2"x2" white sheets of clay together. Place one blue log on short edge of white sheet. Trim along length of blue log, lining up one side of blue log with white sheet. Repeat on adjacent side to make white "v" shape. Stretch log to reduce to 1/2" square; trim 1-1/2" length. Stack with blue logs into square, with white sides in center. Press logs together and trim edges.
- 4. Stand log up on end and slice two corners off from top to bottom. With double-thick #1 white sheet, cover top and sides of log, wrapping around to edges where triangles were sliced off. Replace sliced-off triangles outside white clay. Roll two thin blue snakes and place under white edges at bottom.
- 5. Press cane into triangle log with three equal sides. Press and pull on all three sides to lengthen log to 7" while keeping triangle shape.
- 6. Trim ends. Cut log into three equal sections, about 2" each. Press triangles together with white points together. Cut in half and stack, matching white edges in cane. Gently press hexagon into round log. Cover log with #1 blue sheet, taking care not to trap air between layers. Beginning in center and working out to ends, gently squeeze circumference of cane to reduce to 1-1/4" diameter.
- 7. Allow cane to rest overnight before cutting. Use ruler to mark 4-5mm slices. Slice with thin Super Slicer. Use coffee stirrer or toothpick to poke holes in slices. Gently shape edges. Bake following manufacturer's instructions in oven. Let cool completely before handling.
- 1. Make your buttons exactly the size you want them - just reduce the log a little more or less until it's the desired diameter. For scrapbook pages and other mixed-media crafts, use thin slices.
- 2. If your cane slices aren't a perfectly even thickness, sand them after baking with 320- or 400-grit wet-dry sandpaper. Bake at 275°F for 10 more minutes.