Darice Embossing Essentials Snowflake Swirl Embossing Folder or pattern of choice
Jacquard Pearl Ex Powered Pigments: Reflex Violet, Emerald, Sky Blue
DecoArt: Multi-Purpose Sealer, Satin Finisher Spray, Americana Warm White Acrylic Paint
Polyform Sculpey: Acrylic Roller, Super Slicer
Paintbrushes: flat, liner
Non-porous tile for cutting and baking
baby wipes, spray bottle, fine- and medium-grit sandpaper
1. Apply sealer to all areas of wooden box; let dry. Sand lightly and basecoat all areas of box Warm White. Let dry. Spray all areas with finisher.
2. Slice clay block into four pieces. Run each piece through clay conditioning machine four times. Combine all four clay pieces.
3. Run clay through conditioning machine on thickest setting until clay is as wide as short end of embossing folder. Fill spray bottle with clean water and lightly spray inside embossing folder to keep clay from sticking. Position clay inside folder and close. Roll over folder with clay roller. Turn folder over and repeat. Gently open folder and check impression. Gently coax clay off embossing sheet. Place clay sheet on tile with negative snowflake impression side facing up.
4. Position box lid upside down over embossed clay sheet. Press lid into clay slightly indenting edges of clay sheet. Carefully remove lid. Cut along inside edges of impression with Super Slicer.
5. Open Pearl Ex powders and put small amount of powder into lid of each bottle. Load fingertip with Sky Blue. Rub fingertip in circular motion several times on tile. Tap fingertip up and down on tile to knock off loose particles. Using light pressure, rub fingertip over center of raw clay. Continue rubbing gently in circular motion to smooth color and fade edges. Use baby wipe to clean finger.
6. Repeat Step 5 with Emerald. Blend color over edge of blue areas until gradation of color occurs. Repeat again with Reflex Violet.
7. Bake clay on tile following manufacturer's instructions. Let cool. Use liner and Warm White to touch up embossed areas if powders settled into design. Let dry.
8. Insert clay into lid. If clay does not fit well, sand edges. Adhere clay into lid. Let dry.