Mirror Star Ornament
size: 3" across
Mirror Star Ornament
- Sculpey*: UltraLight Oven Bake Clay; Satin Glaze; Dancing Spirals Texture Sheet
- Interference Violet Pearl-Ex Pigment Powder (Jacquard)
- Beads: clear spacer, 6mm, silver rochaille
- Silver craft wire, 26-gauge
- Small round mirrors, 3/4”, three
- White felt
- White cardstock or printer paper
- Craft knife
- Small paintbrush
- Acrylic brayer
- Needle-nose wire cutters
- Glass baking dish
- Dazzle-Tac Jewelry Glue (Beacon Adhesives)
- Optional: Star-shaped tools: 3” cookie cutter; 1/2” clay cutter; clay-dedicated pasta machine
- *Products by Polyform Products Co.
- 1. Follow manufacturer's instructions to condition clay. Place clay on paper and use brayer to roll to 1/8" thick.
- 2. Dab water onto texture sheet, then press sheet into clay. Roll brayer across back of sheet several times to ensure good impression in clay; remove sheet.
- 3. Print and cut out patterns. Use craft knife to cut large star from textured clay. (Note: Cookie and clay cutters may be used instead of patterns.) Cut three small stars from larger star; press onto surface as shown. Use toothpick to poke holes around edge of large star as indicated on pattern. Use brush to apply pigment powder.
- 4. Place ornament in baking dish and bake according to manufacturer's instructions. Let cool; remove from oven. Apply one coat satin glaze to ornament; let dry. Trace star onto felt; cut out 1/4" inside traced line and set aside.
- 5. Cut 12" wire length. Use tip of wire cutters to form small loop in one wire end; insert opposite end through hole at top of star. Tightly wrap wire three times around loop to secure. String seven rochaille beads onto wire, adding two or three spacer beads between random beads. Insert wire through next hole in star. Continue around star to starting loop. Wrap wire end around loop to secure; cut excess wire. Curl wire end under a bead to conceal.
- 6. Use jewelry glue to adhere small mirrors to back of cut-out stars. Glue felt star to back of ornament; let dry. Cut 3" wire length and curl into a hook; bend ends into spirals and attach hook to star loop.