Personalized Baby Sign
Craft Marketing Connections, Inc.
- DAX White Air Hardening Modeling Clay, two packages (Prang/Dixon)
- Washable Watercolors: Metallic; Glitter (Prang/Dixon)
- Letter Rubber Stamps, 1-1/2” high Traditional Typeface (Magnetic Poetry)
- Ribbon, 5/8” wide: coordinating designs, 8-1/2” lengths, six; 24” length
- Plastic freezer container
- Cardboard (or mat board)
- Plastic drinking straw
- Rolling pin
- Fine-grit sandpaper
- 1. Roll package of clay to 1/4" thickness. For each tile, press freezer container, upside-down, into clay to cut out tile. Cut desired number of tiles. (Note: To smooth edges, either dip finger into water and smooth edges or let clay dry completely, then sand edges.)
- 2. For letter tiles, cut 2-1/4" square from cardboard or mat board. Place cardboard in center of tile and press down to form indentation. Lift cardboard from clay and use edge of cardboard to press down into clay along each edge of indentation to make more defined outline. Use rubber stamp to press letter into tile center.
- 3. For impression tiles, place child's hand or foot on tile and gently press down on heel and palm, as well as each toe and finger until desired impression is left.
- 4. Press drinking straw into clay to cut holes in center through both sides of each tile for stringing. Set tiles aside to dry, then sand edges smooth.
- 5. Use watercolors to paint stamped designs, impressions, stripes, wavy lines, dots, and spirals.
- 6. To tie tiles together, thread 8-1/2" ribbon lengths through holes in tiles; knot in front. For hanging loops on each end, cut 12" ribbon length and fold in half. Thread folded end through hole, from front to back, and knot ribbon ends on front of tile.