Mokume Gane Serving Set
- Metal serving set: pie server, meat fork, serving spoon
- STAEDTLER FIMO Soft Clay: White, Sunflower; Translucent Effect
- Gold leafing sheets
- Texture stamp of choice and brayer
- Clay blade, clay-dedicated pasta machine, parchment-lined baking sheet, oven
- Gloss sealer (optional)
- 1. Condition clay until soft and pliable using pasta machine.
- 2. Roll (5:1) mixture of Translucent + Sunflower clay creating yellow clay. Flatten and insert through pasta machine on thinnest setting. Flatten Translucent clay using thinnest setting. Cut 5" square from each sheet. Position yellow sheet on work surface. Position gold leafing sheet then translucent sheet on top of yellow sheet.
- 3. Cut stacked clay into four pieces; stack pieces on top of one another.
- 4. Press texture stamp into stacked sheet creating impressed areas. Shave texture away to reveal pattern using clay blade. Set shavings aside.
- 5. Flatten Translucent clay at thickest setting on pasta machine. Sprinkle shavings across sheet, then smooth surface by rolling surface with brayer. Wrap smoothed sheet around utensil handle. Trim as needed using clay blade.
- 6. Remove excess clay and shape bottom of handle into curve using fingers.
- 7. Repeat Steps 2-6 for each utensil.
- 8. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake clay-warpped utensils on parchment-lined baking sheet. Let cool completely.
- 9. Sand handles with sandpaper to smooth surface. Buff sanded areas using denim scrap. Apply sealer. Let dry.
- 1. Change the color to match your palette by substituting your favorite color for the yellow clay. You can also substitute silver leafing sheets for the gold used, too.