Star Shakers and Napkin Rings
size: shakers 2"x 4-1/2"; napkin rings 2"
- Polyform Sculpey III Polymer Clay: Red, White, Blue
- Glass salt and pepper shakers
- Old or promo credit card (for cutter)
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin or wooden dowel
- Cookie or clay cutters: stars, 1/2" and 3/4"; circle 1"
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
- scissors, ruler, wax paper (to cover work surface)
- 1. On clean work surface, remove clay from package. To condition, roll clay separately in hands until soft, bending and rolling until pliable. If clay cracks, keep conditioning.
- 2. For napkin ring, roll four 7"-long Blue ropes. Join ends to form four napkin rings.
- 3. Roll White and Red clays into 1/8"-thick sheets. Use cookie cutters to cut four 1" White circles and two 3/4" Red stars. Press stars to two circles.
- 4. For bulls-eye design, use old credit card to cut small rectangle from each clay sheet. Layer and roll rectangles together, forming 3/4"-diameter log shape. Use old credit card to slice two pieces from log and press one to each remaining White circle.
- 5. For shakers, roll two 3-1/2"x8" Blue clay rectangles. Cover shakers with rectangles, trimming sides. Smooth edges.
- 6. Use 1/2" star cookie cutter to cut stars from clay sheets. Use ruler and old credit card to cut strips from clay sheets. Press stars and stripes on sides of shakers.
- 7. Press bulls-eye designs and star designs on napkin rings, covering ends. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake napkin rings and shakers on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool completely.
- 1. Adults, help kids when baking clay in oven.
- 1. Layer stars for a dimensional and different look!