Clay Flower Hair Accessories
Wear your bridal or prom look from head to toe with these lovely clay flowers. Shown here as pretty barrettes and combs, the flowers can also be attached to shoe clips or a purse clasp for a coordinated look.
- Staedtler FIMO Translucent Clay
- Barrettes or combs of choice
- Decorating chalks
- Jacquard Products Pearlescent Powdered Pigment
- Aleene’s Fast Grab Tacky Glue
- ruler, craft knife, paintbrush, oven, parchment-lined baking sheet, toothpick
- 1. Sizes are: flowers, 1/2"-3/4" diameter; leaves, 1" long
- Hair Accessories
- 1. Follow manufacturer's instructions to condition clay. Roll into 3" long, 1/4" diameter snake; cut into 1/4" long sections. Roll each section into ball.
- 2. For rose center or rosebud, see Figure 1. Flatten ball and stretch into 1/4"x1" rectangle. Pinch right edge until thin and "ruffled." Roll clay from left to right, forming "bud".
- 3. For petals, flatten seven balls (for large roses) or five balls (for small roses); pinch edges to ruffle. Press petals one at a time to bud, proceeding in clockwise direction.
- 4. Dip paintbrush into chalk. Apply chalk to petals, working from outer edges toward petal center. Apply pearlescent powder to petals as desired. Trim bottom of rose flat using craft knife.
- 5. For leaves, flatten balls; shape into teardrops. Gently indent vein lines in leaves with toothpick. Shape as desired. Dust center with light green chalk and edges with dark green. Apply pearlescent powder as desired.
- 6. Place finished pieces on baking sheet. Bake at 265° for 35 minutes. Remove; let cool. Adhere to hair accessories as desired.