Pattern - Poinsettia Wreath
- 1. Print out patterns. Cut patterns from cardstock scraps.
- 2. Flatten sheet of Cherry Red and sheet of Tropical Green clay to medium-setting on pasta machine (or to 1/8" thickness). Cut from Cherry Red clay: four small, eight medium, and four large petals. Cut from Tropical Green clay: four small and four large leaves. See Step 1.
- 3. Add detail and vein marks with toothpick on centers of each petal and leaf. See Step 2.
- 4. Cut 6" length of 20-gauge floral wire; bend one end down. Turn leaf over and apply small line of tacky glue down center back of leaf. Lay wire over glue. Press 3/8"-wide strip of same-color clay over wire. Trim away excess clay from strip. Wipe away glue. Repeat process for all leaves and petals. Fold index card in half and then each end in half to create accordion. Position petals on index card. See Steps 3-5.
- 5. Roll five 3/8" Sunflower Yellow and six 3/8" Cherry Red balls. Cut 4" length of 20-gauge wire and loop one end. Insert looped end into ball. Repeat for remaining balls.
- 6. For candy sticks, roll 1/4"-diameter White and 1/4" diameter Cherry Red logs; twist together. Cut 6" lengths and roll ends into point. Insert wire into bottom of twisted logs. Curl one end.
- 7. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake clay items on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool.
- 8. On covered work surface, apply Yellow Glitter powder onto yellow balls. Let dry. Use sponge scrap to apply Black powder onto petal details; use paper towel to wipe off excess pigment. Let dry. Repeat process for leaf vein lines using Black powder. See Step 6. Let dry. Apply gloss varnish. Let dry.
- 9. Attach petals onto wreath using floral tape. Stretch floral tape around wires. Wrap yellow balls together with floral tape to create flower centers. For berries, wrap three red balls together. See Steps 7-8.
- 10. Create three loops of ribbon; wrap wire around ends to secure. Wrap wire with floral tape. Repeat process to create multiple ribbon groupings.
- 11. For first row, position small petal on center and wrap with floral tape to secure. Turn 1/4" clockwise and attach another small petal with tape. Repeat this step with remaining two small petals. Arrange petals around flower. For second row, add one medium petal at a time by attaching with floral tape. Shape flower when finished. For third row, attach six large petals clockwise until all petals are attached. Arrange flowers into star shape. For fourth row, add remaining medium petals. Shape flower into poinsettia shape.
- 12. For leaves, wrap each leaf wire with tape. Wrap two large and one small leaf together with tape. Arrange large leaves on outside and smaller leaves toward center. Repeat to create another set.
- 13. Trim wires on poinsettia to approximately 3" long. Press stem of flower into wreath where desired. See Step 9.
- 14. Cut 12"-length of 24-gauge wire. Position wreath on wire and bring each end up and wrap around petals of flower to secure. Twist ends together to secure and cut off excess wire. Attach leaf set onto each side of poinsettia. Spot glue to secure. Continue attaching ribbons, leaves, and berries as desired with wire and glue. See Step 10.