Classroom Map & Chart Pointers
size: 16" long
Map & Chart Pointers
- Wooden dowel, 14" length
- Polyform Sculpey: Bake Shop Oven-Bake Clay: Beige, Black, Blue, Hot Pink, Yellow, White; Sculpey III: Silver
- Eclectic Products E6000 adhesive (or heavy-duty craft glue)
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Primary Yellow, Sapphire
- Permanent markers: black, blue, pink, yellow, light brown
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- scissors, ruler, plastic knife, toothpick, paintbrushes, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. Adults, help kids when baking clay in oven.
- 2. On covered work surface, paint wooden dowel (handle) Primary Yellow or Sapphire. Let dry.
- 3. On clean work surface, remove clay from packages. To condition, roll clay separately in hands until soft, bending and rolling until pliable. If clay cracks, keep conditioning.
- 4. For pencil, roll 2"-long Yellow log. For eraser, roll 1" Hot Pink ball; press eraser on pencil end. For pencil tip, roll 1" Beige ball into triangle shapes; press on other end of pencil. Roll small Silver ball into flat log; wrap around eraser.
- 5. For crayon, roll 2"-long Blue log. Roll 1/2" ball White clay and 1" ball of Blue clay together, creating light blue clay. Roll 1" light blue clay ball; flatten and press on crayon end. Roll remaining 1/2" light blue clay into triangle shape; press on crayon tip.
- 6. Use toothpick to add details on silver part of pencil eraser and blue area on crayon body.
- 7. Push end of dowel into center of pencil eraser or crayon end. Remove dowel.
- 8. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake clay in oven. Let cool completely.
- 9. Glue dowel ends into center of pencil eraser or crayon end.
- 10. Use black marker to draw details on pencil and crayon.