Beading / Jewelry
Macramé Plant Hanger
1970s macramé plant hanger gets a modern remake.
Macramé Plant Hanger
- Flower pot, 8”x8”
- White parachute cord, 32’
- Wood cutout: button, three; flower, two
- Wood spools, five
- Design Master Pinkolicious TintIT
- latex gloves, paper towel, lighter
- 1. Wearing latex gloves, gather parachute cord and spray Pinkolicious. Toss and turn cord while spraying to completely cover cord. Run cord through fingers to straighten out; let dry.
- 2. Spray wood cutouts and spools Pinkolicious, wetting entire surface. Wipe painted wood pieces with paper towel while still wet to stain wood. Let dry. Lightly mist wood pieces to darken color as desired.
- 3. Cut three 10' lengths of painted cord. Reserve remaining 2' for tying off hanger. Singe cord ends with lighter to prevent fraying.
- 4. Fold three 10' lengths in half and attach to D-ring using lark's head knot. (To make knotting easier, hang D-ring.)
- 5. Thread each button cutout through one set of cords; place them approximately 12" from D-ring.
- 6. About 5" down from buttons, tie a series of five square knots on each set of cords. To make a square knot, place right end over left, then left end over right as shown.
- 7. Gather one cord from each neighboring set and tie two square knots about 3" down from previous knots. (If using larger pot, adjust distance from previous knots to accommodate its size.)
- 8. Gather two cords back together from original set and tie two square knots 3" down from previous knots.
- 9. To tie off hanger, gather all cords 3" down from the last knot. Using reserved piece of cording from Step 3, lay one end next to tails of hanger. Wrap top end around gathered tails including lower portion of tying cord as shown. Wrap cord for 3" or desired length. Secure by tying two half hitch knots to bottom section of wrapping cord as shown.
- 10. Thread random cord tails with flower cutouts and spools. Tie overhand knots on all ends at varying lengths; trim ends. Singe cut cords with lighter.
- 11. Insert planted pot and hang.