Beading / Jewelry
Mica Shift Domed Earrings
- Sculpey Premo! Accents Gold Oven-Bake Clay*
- Round beads: silver, 2mm, 16; stone accent, four
- Silver findings: ball and coil ear wires, two; jump rings, two; headpins, 1", six
- Sculpey Landscape Texture Sheet*
- Drill with fine drill bit
- Jewelry pliers
- Wire cutters
- Sculpey Clay Tools*: Acrylic Roller, Super Slicer, Hollow Bead Maker, Wet/Dry Variety Pack Sandpaper, Bake & Bond
- Water-based varnish
- * Products available from Polyform Products
- parchment-lined baking sheet and oven, spray bottle of water
- 1. Work clay with hands until soft and pliable. On protected surface, roll clay to 1/8" thickness approximately size of texture sheet. Spritz texture sheet with water. Firmly roll sheet across clay to impress paver pattern. Holding slicer almost parallel to clay surface, shave off raised areas of pattern. This creates "Mica Shift." When entire sheet has been shaved, roll across surface to smooth imperfections.
- 2. Cut two same-size squares, measuring between 1"-1-1/4", from sheet. Press squares onto largest dome of bead maker tray and bake according to manufacturer's instructions. When cooled, lightly sand surface of clay pieces with 400- and 600-grit sandpaper with water.
- 3. Repeat Step 1, imprinting clay with honeycomb pattern. Cut two 1/2" circles from sheet. Press one circle on each baked square; adhere with dab of Bake & Bond. Bake again according to manufacturer's instructions. Sand circle surfaces as before. Buff pieces with muslin buffing wheel or apply water-based varnish.
- 4. Drill one hole through center and one hole in corner of each earring.
- 5. Thread headpin through center hole from back to front. Form loop on front side; trim off excess. Repeat for second earring.
- 6. Thread three silver beads, one stone bead, and three more silver beads onto headpin; close with loop. Repeat for second component. Thread one silver bead, one stone bead, and one silver bead onto headpin; close with loop. Repeat for second component.
- 7. Attach one of each size component to each earring at center. Attach earwires to earrings with jump rings.