Beading / Jewelry
Silk Screen Snowflake Jewelry
- Premo! Sculpey Soufflé Oven Bake Clay*: Sea Glass, Lagoon, Igloo; Silver Accents
- Silver fish hook ear wires, two
- Silver choker necklace
- Silver jump rings, three each: 6mm, 8mm
- Assorted round and diamond cut rhinestones
- Clay conditioning machine
- Premo! Sculpey Clay Tools*: Clay Tool Starter Set; Super Slicer; Metal Cutters, Sculpey Circle, Basic Shapes Mini; Silk Screen Kit; Hollow Bead Maker; Satin Glaze
- Jewelry pliers, two
- Wire cutters
- Ceramic tile, parchment-lined baking sheet, oven
- Hammerhead Glass Bond Glue
- *Products available from Polyform
- paintbrush, container of water
- 1. Earrings, 2-1/4" length; pendant, 1-3/4" diameter.
- Silk Screen Snowflake Jewelry
- 1. Condition all clay through conditioning machine until soft and pliable. Run Silver clay through clay conditioning machine on a medium (3-4) setting; set aside.
- 2. Blend (4:1:1) mixture of Lagoon + Igloo+ Sea Glass until well mixed. Pass through clay conditioning machine on second thickest setting. Lay on ceramic tile.
- 3. When paint is dry, use 2" circle cutter to cut out painted areas. (Note: Design areas will be slightly smaller than cutter.) Use circle cutter from Mini Metal Cutter set to cut out center of one circle for pendant. Smooth inside edge of pendant with blunt point tool. Use Super Slicer to gently lift painted clay circles from surface. Position painted circles onto sheet of silver clay. Carefully position 1-3/4" circle cutter over design area and cut through both layers of clay for pendant. Repeat cutting method for earrings, using 1-1/4" circle cutter to cut two circles from remaining design areas.
- 4. Use needle tool to make holes in earrings for ear wires; wiggle tool slightly to make opening larger and round. Turn earrings over and repeat on reverse side, using Super Slicer to gently lift each piece of clay. Use blunt point tool to smooth rough edges of clay and gentle finger pressure to smooth and round edges as needed. Open 8mm jump ring using pliers; trim off open ends and form U-shaped bale for pendant. Push open ends of jump ring into top of pendant.
- 5. Set Hollow Bead Maker tray out with convex side up; lay pendant on largest circle and gently press down using light finger pressure. Repeat with earring circles on second largest circles. Bake on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven following manufacturer's instructions. Let cool, then gently remove baked clay pieces.
- 6. Apply thin even coat of glaze to front of clay pieces using paintbrush. When dry, turn over and repeat on reverse side.
- 7. Use needle tool to apply tiny amount of glue to back of rhinestones; adhere to center of earrings and pendant. Let dry.
- 8. Use pliers to open 8mm jump ring for each earring. Carefully thread jump ring into earring hole; close jump ring. Open 6mm jump ring; hook onto ear wire and 8mm jump ring. Close jump ring. For pendant, open 6mm jump ring and attach to necklace bale. Close jump ring, then slide onto choker.
Have trouble with jump rings? It's easy! To open a jump ring, hold jump ring with two sets of pliers. One set should be placed at 3:00 and the other at 9:00. The opening of the ring should be at 12:00. Using even pressure, pull one set of pliers toward you and push the other away from you until the ring opens. To close the ring, reverse the procedure.