Beading / Jewelry
published by Search Press © 2014
- United Notions Moda Fabrics Jelly Roll Precut Fabric Strips, 2-1/2”, style of choice
- Polyester stuffing
- Buttons, 1” diameter
- Sewing machine with matching thread
- Long sewing needle with strong thread
- Rotary cutter and self-healing mat
- Fabric pen
- scissors, iron and pressing surface, ruler, straight pins
- 1. Cut fabric strips into four 4-1/2" lengths using rotary cutter. Sew strips together in pairs down long sides; press seams open.
- 2. Place fabric pieces, with right sides together, at right angles to each other. Pin at corners.
- 3. Machine-sew around outside edges of square, sewing one or two stitches across corners. Leave 1" gap in center of one side for turning. At opening, work extra line of machine stitching just within seam line of edge that joins fabric. (Note: This will stop seam from opening during stuffing and provide guide to sew along when you close opening.)
- 4. Trim fabric away from corners and turn right side out.
- 5. Stuff cushion until firm; machine-sew opening closed.
- 6. With long needle and strong thread, hand-sew button onto center of pincushion. Knot thread end and stitch through from front to back and return to front before placing button on cushion. Pass needle and thread completely through pincushion and pull thread taut to create dimples on both sides of cushion. When button is secure, loop thread around button base, push needle into cushion as far as possible and snip thread.
- 7. Repeat process to create additional pincushions for stacked look.