Beading / Jewelry
Soldered Angel Ornament
size: 7" tall
- Glass items: sea glass: pink triangle shapes, 1-1/4”x2”; white wing-shaped, 5/8”x1-1/4”; glass rectangles (Simply Swank), 1”x1-1/2”, four
- Tin Jump Rings (Simply Swank), Medium
- Rose Large Glass bead mix (Bead Heaven)
- White frosted E beads, four
- Silver bead caps, 3/16”, ten
- Silver wire, 24-gauge, 28” length
- Elizabeth Brownd Holiday Image patterned paper (K&Company)
- Marah Johnson Swatch Book Impress-ons (Creative Impressions): Christmas Designs
- Terra cotta pot foot, 1-1/2”x3-1/2”
- Glass cutter 0072
- Glass cutting oil
- 8 Running Pliers, (C.R. Laurence)
- Soldering iron
- Copper foil tape
- Straight-edge ruler with non-slip backing
- Small tools: wire cutter; flat-nose pliers
- Bone folder
- Diamond Glaze adhesive
- Flux & patina remover
- Rubber band, 1/4”, 7”
- 1. Cut two 3/4"x1-1/2" pieces of glass. Mark glass down the long side 3/4"-wide. Use glass cutter to score, and line up running pliers along line to cut. Cut scrapbook paper slightly smaller than glass. Apply rub-on musical notes and "Joy" greeting. Center and glue paper to a glass piece. Cover remaining glass piece and wrap around outside with copper tape. Fold excess tape over back and front; burnish with bone folder.
- 2. Make simple jig to help as a third hand to hold pieces while soldering. Wrap rubber band twice around wide end of longest protrusion on terra cotta foot. Insert piece between rubber band and foot to hold stationary while working on it.
- 3. Wrap copper tape around pebble, wings and skirt; burnish with bone folder. Position pieces in jig to solder, one side at a time. Touch soldering iron tip to soldering coil and pick up a little solder. Touch tip to copper foil to apply solder to piece. Continue until tape is completely covered, keeping it as smooth as possible. Let cool enough to handle before soldering opposite side. Solder head and wings on angel as shown.
- 4. Hold pieces with jig to solder jump rings as shown. Wrap wire around 1/2" dowel and trim with wire cutters, letting ends overlap a bit. Cut 1/2" wire length and solder to halo where ends meet. Solder end of halo wire to top of angel's head.
- 5. String top hanger and side connecting pieces with wire on angel with beads as shown. Twist wire over O-rings to connect and trim ends as shown. Remove flux and polish.