Beading / Jewelry
Love Birds Crystal Necklace
size: 18-1/2" long
- Kabela Design Antique Brass: Love Birds Link Charm, 21mmx16mm; Flower with Center Crystal links, 23.5mmx9mm, two
- Antique brass beads and findings: heart toggle clasp, 20x15mm; round filigree beads, 5mm, 10; oval filigree beads, 12mmx8mm, four; petal bead caps, 6mm, 12; 22-gauge eye pins, 1-1/4”, 31
- Swarovski Crystals: Light Azore Faceted Round, 8mm, six, 6mm, six, 4mm, eight; Light Azore Bicone, 4mm, four; Golden Shadow Flat Briolette Pendant, 15mm
- Pliers: round-nose, chain-nose
- Wire cutters
- 1. Make filigree bead components by sliding bead onto eye pin. Grip wire with round-nose pliers where it exits bead and bend tail over pliers at 90º. Move pliers to grip wire just above 90º turn. Grab wire tail with fingers; wrap around pliers to make loop. Trim tail with cutters. Repeat for all filigree and 6mm round crystal beads.
- 2. Slide bead cap, 8mm round crystal, and bead cap on eye pin. Finish with loop process in Step 1. Repeat to make two components.
- 3. Slide 4mm round crystal, bead cap, 8mm round crystal, bead cap, and 4mm round crystal on eye pin. Finish with loop process in Step 1. Repeat to make four multi-bead components.
- 4. To assemble necklace, open end of multi-bead component with pliers by grasping the open side of loop with pliers, component side with other pliers, then pushing open side away. (Note: This keeps round loop shape intact.) Slide open loop through opening on top corner of charm. Close loop with both sets of pliers.
- 5. Open other loop on same component and slide through opening on flower link; close loop.
- 6. Continue opening and closing loops with this method in following pattern to create one side of necklace: charm, multi-bead component, flower link, multi-bead component, oval filigree, 8mm round crystal, oval filigree, 6mm round crystal, round filigree, 4mm round crystal, round filigree, 6mm round crystal, three round filigrees, 4mm bicone.
- 7. Repeat pattern on other side of charm.
- 8. To attach pendant, make two components with one bicone each using process in Step 1. Slide eye pin through pendant; make loop in tail and trim with cutters. Attach bicone components to charm by opening and closing loops. Attach opposite end of bicone components to pendant loops.
- 9. Finish necklace by opening last component loop on both sides and attaching toggle parts. Close loops.
- 1. Some eye pins are labeled "dead hard" or "dead soft." This indicates how hard the metal is for bending. If your eye pins are too hard to bend into a loop, look for a package that says "dead soft." You can substitute 22-gauge antique brass wire that is labeled "dead soft," but you will have to make twice as many loops - one at the top and one at the bottom.