Clay texture sheets: Molding Mats Jumbo Swirl Blocks (Clearsnap); Set B Dot plate (Makin’s Clay)
Copper Metallic Accent Wax (Terra Bella Finishes)
Translucent Liquid Sculpey Bakable Transfer & Color Medium (Polyform Products)
Clay-dedicated tools: pasta machine (PM); straight blade; #1 or #2 metal knitting needle
1. Follow package directions to condition half-block Black clay. Flatten and roll through PM setting #1, then #3. Cut clay in half. Texture one piece with Jumbo Swirls; cut 1"x2 piece. Texture other piece with dots; cut 1" square.
2. See "Skinner Blend Technique" to prepare clay. See "Jellyroll Cane Technique" to roll cane.
3. Roll small amount Black clay through PM #2; place clay on work surface. Cut thin cane slices and cover Black clay, filling all gaps; see Fig. 4.
4. Roll cane-covered sheet through PM #1. Turn sheet 90° and roll on #2. Turn and roll on #3. Cut 1" square.
5. Roll smooth sheet of Black clay on PM #2. See Fig. 5 to place elements on sheet so they touch. Gently press clay pieces to base. Cut curved shield shape from clay. Bake at 275° for 15 minutes; let cool.
6. In disposable cup, mix small amount Liquid Sculpey with glitter. Spread over swirled texture. Rub wax over dot texture, wipe away excess with paper towel. See Fig. 6.
7. Apply Liquid Sculpey to pendant edges. Roll Black clay on PM #3 and cut 1/4" strip long enough to wrap pendant edges, beginning and ending at center top.
8. Roll very thin log of Black clay and press to center seam; trim. Rub wax over clay. Roll six tiny clay balls and press to remaining seam with tip of knitting needle.
9. Cut 1" square from leftover clay, press 1/4" black strips to sides and wrap around knitting needle; press ends together. With needle in place, press bezel to top of pendant. Create 3/4" round bead in same way.
10. Bake at 275° for 30 minutes; let cool. Tie cording through bezel and bead.
Skinner Blend Technique
1. Condition equal amounts of green, gold and purple clay; roll each through PM setting #1. See Fig. 1. Flatten edges and overlap clay sheets 1-1/4". See Fig. 2. Roll clay through PM #1; fold in half with like colors touching. Place clay fold down into PM and roll again. Repeat 10 or 20 times to blend.
Jellyroll Cane Technique
1. Condition equal amounts Black and White clay. Roll each into log, flatten and roll through PM #1, then #2. Stack sheets and roll through PM #1 to #4. Place sheet white side down on top of Skinner Blend sheet. Roll sheet lengthwise through PM #1 to #3, beginning at green or purple end. Do not fold clay between rolls. With colored side up, tightly roll clay into jellyroll. Roll cane against work surface to smooth seam; firmly squeeze along length to reduce size. Roll and lengthen to 3/4" diameter. See Fig. 3.