Beading / Jewelry
Beaded & Embroidered Sunglasses Case
- Cotton batik fabrics: blue, 1/4 yd.; hot pink, 1/8 yd.; lime green, 1/8 yd.
- Bright yellow piping, 1 yd.
- Lime green satin ribbon, 3/8”, 1/2 yd.
- Beads to Ribbon Glass Mix: Seabreeze (Blue Moon Beads)
- 6-strand embroidery floss: dk. blue; hot pink; bright yellow
- Warm & White Needled Cotton Batting (The Warm Co.)
- Sewing machine and matching threads
- Needles: sewing; embroidery
- Iron and pressing board
- 1. Cut 1-1/4"x7-1/2" rectangle from green fabric, 1-1/4"x7-1/2" rectangle from pink fabric, and 5"x7-1/2" rectangle from blue fabric.
- 2. Cut ribbon into six 6"lengths. Trim one end of each ribbon length into a point. Thread pointed end of one ribbon length through eye of needle. Insert needle through one large green bead and then remove needle. Repeat to attach the following beads: a large green bead to three more ribbon pieces; a medium green bead sandwiched between two small blue beads on two ribbon pieces.
- 3. Baste the ribbon pieces across the top and bottom of the red strip. (Note: Ribbon pieces are placed vertically across the horizontal fabric strip with the ends extending at top and bottom.) The ribbon pieces with the three beads need to be placed 1-3/4" in from the short ends of the pink rectangle. The ribbon pieces with the large green beads need to be placed 1" from both sides of the three bead pieces. (Note: When the case is folded in half after it is completed, the ribbon pieces will be centered on both sides.) Trim ribbon ends even with fabric rectangle.
- 4. Sew green fabric strip across top of pink strip, and blue strip across bottom of pink strip. (Note: Beads may be moved up and down ribbon when stitching to allow for width of presser foot on sewing machine.)
- 5. Use blue floss to feather stitch across bottom of green strip. Use yellow floss to make French knots on ends of feather stitches and pink floss to make French knots between stitches, wrapping floss around needle three times for each knot. Use yellow floss to blanket stitch across top of blue strip, and pink floss to blanket stitch between yellow stitches. Use blue floss to make French knots on ends of yellow stitches.
- 6. Cut a 7"x7-1/2" rectangle from blue fabric (lining) and batting. Baste batting to wrong side of embroidered rectangle. Sew piping around edge of embroidered rectangle, beginning and ending in a corner. Sew lining to embroidered rectangle along piping stitching, leaving a 4" opening on bottom for turning. Trim seam at corners. Turn right side out. Hand sew opening closed.
- 7. Fold case in half with embroidered design at top on outside. Whipstitch side and bottom edges together along piping seam.
- 1. Sew all seams with right sides together, using a 1/4" seam allowance, pinning and pressing as needed. Use three strands of floss for all embroidery.