Beading / Jewelry
- Solid fabric, 1/4 yd.
- Woven fusible interfacing, 1/2 yd. white or black depending upon clutch color
- Coordinating zipper, 9” long
- White pearl beads: 4mm; 6mm; 8mm
- Silver spacer beads, two
- Silver wire, 20-gauge
- Round-nose pliers
- Sewing machine and coordinating thread
- Iron and pressing board
Pattern - Pearl Clutches
- 1. From fabric, cut two 5-1/2"x9-1/2" rectangles. From fusible interfacing, cut two 5-1/2"x9-1/2" rectangles. Follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse interfacing to wrong side of fabric.
- 2. Print and cut out patterns. Transfer pattern dots to front of one bag rectangle. If using heart pattern, transfer design to center of rectangle. Use doubled sewing thread to sew 4mm pearl beads to dots.
- 3. Sew rectangles together along side and bottom edges. Machine sew zigzag stitch along seam edges. Flatten one corner of bag to create a triangular point, aligning side seam with bottom corner seam. Use pencil to mark 2" line perpendicular to seam, 1" from point. Stitch along line (Fig. 1). Trim triangle 1/4" from stitching. Machine sew zigzag stitch along seam edges. Repeat for remaining corner.
- 4. Machine sew zigzag stitch along top bag edges. Hand sew zipper around top of bag. 1/4" from edge.
- 5. For beaded zipper pull, cut 2-1/2" wire length. Bend one wire end into loop. Place assorted sizes of pearl beads and spacer beads on wire as desired, leaving 1" wire length at top. Bend wire 1/2" from end over slightly. Insert wire end through hole in zipper pull. Bend wire end down until it touches top of last bead.
- 1. Sew seams 1/4" from edges, with right sides together, pinning and pressing as needed.