Beading / Jewelry
Mixed Media Pendant
- Cotton fabric, scraps: light pink, hot pink print, white, turquoise
- Fairfield Poly-fil Fiberfill Stuffing
- Black embroidery floss
- Silver chain, 16” length
- Silver findings: jump rings, 12mm, three; lobster claw clasp
- Toner Plastics Icy Silver Fun Wire, 18-gauge
- Buttons Galore and More Orange Fabric Brad
- Gold vintage button
- Silver pebble beads, 6/0, four
- Sizzix Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine and Bigz Primitive Hearts Die
- Sewing machine and black thread
- Needles: sewing, embroidery
- Tiny alphabet rubber stamps
- Round-nose pliers, chain-nose pliers, wire cutters
- Gold glitter
- Black pigment ink
- Adhesives: Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive, The Warm Co. Lite Steam-a-Seam
- scissors, iron and pressing surface, straight pins
- 1. Follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse webbing to light pink, hot pink print, and white fabric scraps. Die cut one medium heart from fused hot pink fabric. Die cut one large heart from hot pink print and one from light pink fabric. Peel paper backing away; fuse smaller heart on center of light pink larger heart. Cut white fused-fabric to 1/2"x1-1/2" and fuse across center of hearts.
- 2. Machine-sew edges of fused rectangle to heart. Use alphabet stamps and pigment ink to stamp sentiment on strip; heat set with iron.
- 3. Hand-sew knife pleat in center of turquoise fabric scrap. Hand-sew to secure to front of hearts using photo as guide for placement.
- 4. Use round-nose pliers to bend 5" wire into coil. Thread embroidery needle with three strands embroidery floss and couch wire to heart. Pull embroidery floss from back of hearts to front; slip one bead on needle and pull to back. Continue until all beads have been sewn to heart. Knot ends.
- 5. Place small amount of glue on center of fabric-covered brad. Sprinkle glitter on brad. Cut tiny hole in hearts and insert brad. Sew gold button to heart. Knot ends.
- 6. Pin large hearts together with straight pin in center. Starting on right center edge of hearts, use backstitch to hand-sew together using needle and thread, sewing around edges of heart on center. Hand-sew edges of larger hearts together, leaving small opening on edge for stuffing. Lightly stuff heart with polyfill. Sew opening closed.
- 7. Open one jump ring with chain-nose pliers and attach through fabric at top of heart. Open second jump ring and loop one end through jump ring on heart and then on center of chain. Open third jump ring and attach onto end of chain. Attach lobster claw clasp to remaining end.
- 1. Substitute "believe" with Grandma's nickname or initials for a personalized necklace.