Beading / Jewelry
Jewel tones come alive in this vibrant necklace created by stamping clay and adding glass beads and gold link chain.
- Polyform Oven-Bake Clay: Premo! Sculpey Accents Gold, Sculpey UltraLight
- Gold link chain, 10” length
- Glass beads: blue, 57; gold, 112
- Gold findings: jump rings, three; crimp beads, two; eye pin; clasp
- Beading wire, 26” length
- Polyform Sculpey Clay Conditioning Machine
- Rubber stamp of choice
- Alcohol ink markers
- Small round or oval cutter
- Needle-nose pliers, wire cutters, crimping pliers
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
- wax paper or plastic wrap, spray bottle of water, craft knife, copy paper
- 1. Necklace is 11" in length with 2-1/2" pendant.
- Tuscany-Inspired Necklace
- 1. Roll small sheet of Gold clay on #2 setting through Clay Conditioning Machine. (Note: Clay sheet should be large enough to accommodate stamp.) Place sheet of clay on sheet of copy paper. Lightly spray stamp with water; press stamp firmly into clay sheet and remove. See Photo 1.
- 2. Use craft knife to cut around edge of stamped pattern, leaving small border, creating pendant shape. See Photo 2.
- 3. Place sheet of copy paper over pendant; lightly press edges down so clay is curved. See Photo 3.
- 4. Knead 1/4" ball of UltraLight clay in hands and slightly flatten. Place sheet of wax paper over clay; press cutter into clay going through paper. (Note: The paper helps to round the edges of the cutter.) See Photo 4 and Photo 5.
- 5. Position stamped pendant over UltraLight clay. See Photo 6.
- 6. Use wire cutters to cut eye pin to 1/2" length; insert into top back of pendant.
- 7. Follow manufacturer's instructions to bake pendant on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool completely.
- 8. Use alcohol ink markers to color in impressed areas on pendant. See Photo 7 and Photo 8. Let dry.
- 9. On beading wire, string two gold beads, blue bead, and two gold beads along length, repeating pattern until all beads have been used. Use needle-nose pliers to form loop on eye pin on pendant. Attach pendant on center of gold/blue beaded strand.
- 10. Find center of right side of necklace; fold wire end above blue bead. Add crimp bead and crimp using crimping pliers. Thread wire end straight across necklace to blue bead on left side; insert wire end through bead and add crimp bead. Crimp bead and trim wire end. Tuck wire ends through bead. (Note: This creates second gold/blue beaded strand.)
- 11. Use jump rings to attach crimped wire ends to each end of gold chain.
- 1. If you don't have a cutter, use your hands to shape and round the clay into oval.
- Tuscany-Inspired Necklace
- 1. To finish, attach clasp on one end of gold chain and remaining jump ring on other end.