Beading / Jewelry
Orange Explosion Jewelry
size: earrings, 3"; ring, 5/8"
Orange Explosion Jewelry
- Seed beads: Czech 10/0 orange mix; 11/0, Czech red-lined topaz, orange opaque, Miyuki Duracoat Galvanized Yellow Gold
- Czech pressed orange cubes, 8/7mm, seven
- Preciosa Pellet Aurum, 4/6mm, two
- Stopper bead
- Gold findings, two each: earring wires, headpins
- Beadalon Frost WildFire Beading Thread, .2mm diameter
- Beadalon Big Eye Beading Needle, Round-Nose Pliers, Bent Chain-Nose Pliers
- Artistic Wire Wire Cutters
- Special Stitches
- 1. square stitch - Rows of beads are stacked parallel with holes aligned, and thread is woven through beads in circular fashion. Start with aligned row of beads. To build additional row, place bead on top of last bead from previous row. Working right to left, pass thread through new bead and bead below twice in counter-clockwise direction. Repeat to complete row. To add third row, work from left to right and in clockwise direction.
- 2. zip stitch - Two sides are required with alternating beads that can interlock. The top and bottom pieces must end with different number of beads. Instead of adding new beads, zip stitch interlocks beads by passing thread back and forth through two sides much like zipper.
- 1. 10/0 orange mix seed beads are A, Yellow Gold seed beads are B, orange cubes are C, pellets are D, red-lined topaz seed beads are E, orange opaque seed beads are F throughout.
- 1. Cut 5' length of beading thread. Add stopper bead and leave 12" tail. Pick up 33A.
- 2. For next row, pick up 1A, then go through last bead of first row, and pass back through bead in second row. (Note: The first bead of second row will sit on top of last bead in first row.) Pick up 1A, sew through next-to-last bead of first row, and back through second bead in second row. Repeat to end of row.
- 3. Row Three: 5A, 5B, 4A, 5B, 4A, 5B, and 5A.
- 4. Outside columns are worked over first five beads and last five beads starting from an outside edge: 4A and 1B, 1B and 4A, and 4A and 1B.
- 5. Inside columns are worked over beads 11 to 14 and 20 to 23. Repeat following three times per column: 1B, 2A, and 1B.
- 6. Close three open spaces. Using original working thread, work 5A. *Pick up 5B and 1A and work the A as a square stitch into next B. Work 3A.* Repeat. Pick up 5B and 1A and work A into next B. Work 4A.
- 7. Work two rows of 33A.
- 8. Attach C using third of five gold beads.
- 9. To embellish top, first row of 10B is worked in modified square stitch. Thread is exiting end bead. Pick up 2B, pass down through next bead, up through end bead, and back through 2B. Reaming stitches are worked in similar fashion, but using only 1B.
- 10. Work thread to exit second to last bead and work one row of 8B.
- 11. Pellet bead is attached over fourth and fifth beads. Work thread to exit fourth bead. Pick up 1D and 5B and pass back through all beads and fifth gold bead (next to starting point bead). Pick up 5B and pass through D. Reinforce by passing through added Bs and through fourth and fifth bead of 8B row. Weave thread in and trim.
- 12. To finish, insert headpin through bottom of pellet. Trim wire to slightly less than 1/2", make loop, and slip on ear wire. Close loop.
- 1. For top, on 4' length of thread with 1" tail, pick up 1F and 5E four times. Pass needle through all beads again, exiting first strung F bead to make ring.
- 2. Work in Peyote stitch along sides using E beads but add 3F at each order. (Note, To Peyote stitch, pick up 1E, skip bead, sew through next bead and repeat.) Pick up 3F and pass through next E. Second orange bead will be above single orange bead from previous step. Repeat four times; step up.
- 3. Peyote 3E along sides. At corner, needle will exit first of three orange beads. Pick up two orange beads and pass needle through third orange bead. Step up at end of row.
- 4. Peyote 3E along side; work 1F in each corner. Other side is worked off first row of beads. Weave thread to inside of square; needle should exit up bead in preparation for Peyote stitch.
- 5. For bottom: Peyote 2E per side and pass through orange corner. Step up at row end.
- 6. Add 3F over corners and Peyote 1E each side; step up.
- 7. Add 2F over corners and Peyote 2E each side; step up.
- 8. Pick up 2F for corner, pass through next orange bead, and Peyote 3E each side; step up.
- 9. Zip two layers together along outside edge using zip stitch.
- 10. To set orange cube, use tail from Step 1. Weave thread to one center bead along inside edge of square. Pick up D and pass needle through corresponding center bead on opposite side. Repeat thread path to secure. Pick up 3B and pass needle through center bead of next side. Repeat four times. Step up through first 3B. Pick up 1B and pass through next 3B. Repeat four times. Pass through all B beads to reinforce. Weave thread to opposite side of original working thread.
- 11. Create band by working in Peyote stitch off square's sides. Add 2B on two opposite sides of square and work in Peyote stitch until desired size. Zip two ends together using zip stitch; weave thread ends and trim.
- 1. The starting point on a row can change when the pattern requires increasing the number of beads.