Beading / Jewelry
Batik & Wire Whimsy Jewelry
sizes: 12", 18"
View of Pieces to Use
- Swarovski Elements Crystals: Bicones: six 3mm purple velvet, eight 3mm Colorado light topaz; Pearls: six 4mm Bronze
- Copper findings (TierraCast.com): six end caps, one toggle
- Purple velvet helix crystals, three 8mm
- Jump rings: five large purple, two small copper
- 20-gauge wire (Parawire.com): Purple, Bronze
- Batik fabric, scraps
- Double-sided adhesive sheets
- Coffee stirring straws
- Round-nose pliers
- Chain-nose pliers
- Wire cutter
- scissors, ruler, rotary cutter, self-healing mat
- 1. Check out this link for a free tutorial on how to create your very own batik fabric beads: www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEwXNsGQW1s&feature=related.
- 1. Select piece of batik fabric. Peel off paper backing from double-sided adhesive sheet and press onto fabric back. Cut 1"x2" fabric strip. Taper end of strip so it looks like triangle. Peel off paper backing and stick wide side of fabric onto straw. Roll fabric onto straw. Cut excess straw.
- 1. Cut three 6" lengths of bronze wire. Cut three 4" lengths of purple wire.
- 2. Bend wires in half. Using tip of round-nose pliers, grab end of 6" wire length and wrap around pliers creating small loop. (Note: Make sure beginning wire loop is large enough for jump rings to fit through.)
- 3. Use chain-nose pliers to grab loop and push wire around beginning loop with your finger.
- 4. Keep moving pliers and wrapping tight coil until about 1/2" from center bend.
- 5. Straighten out wire and add following: 3mm purple crystal bicone, 4mm pearl, fabric bead, 4mm pearl, 3mm crystal bicone.
- 6. Beginning on other end of wire, repeat Steps 4-5 until link is complete. Create two more wire links.
- 7. Using tip of round-nose pliers, grab end of 4" wire length and wrap around pliers creating small loop.
- 8. Use chain-nose pliers to grab loop and push wire around beginning loop with your finger.
- 9. Keep moving pliers and wrapping tight coil until about 1/2" from center bend as done before.
- 10. Straighten out wire and add following: 3mm crystal bicone, bead cap, helix crystal, bead cap, 3mm crystal bicone.
- 11. Beginning with other end of wire, repeat Steps 9-10 until link is complete. Create two more wire links.
- 12. Attach links using large jump rings. Attach toggle to end of necklace using copper jump rings. Attach toggle bar to other end using copper jump rings. Create bracelets following steps above.