1. Your object to mosaic should be clean and dry and have a smooth surface.
2. Transfer your design onto the surface of the object to mosaic by taping carbon transfer paper and your pattern in place and tracing over the pattern with a pen (FIG. 1).
3. Remove the pattern and carbon paper. Hardline the pattern directly onto the surface by tracing over the carbon lines with a marker.
NOTE: If you mosaic onto a clear glass object you do not need to transfer your pattern. Tape the pattern behind the glass surface, follow the pattern and glue pieces directly onto the glass surface.
Step 2 - Adding Tesserae (pieces used in a mosaic)
1. On a flat surface covered with newspaper or a drop cloth, place your project to mosaic. If you must glue pieces to a vertical surface, hold your tesserae in place with tape until the glue dries. Remove tape once the glue has set and before grouting.
2. Start with the main or central item in the pattern. MOSAIC TIP: always wear eye protection when nipping tile and glass. Nip tesserae to fit inside the pattern outline. Leave 1/8" between each piece of tesserae and away from the edge to leave room for the grout. When you are pleased with the design, lift each piece and place a small amount of glue onto the backside of the tesserae and reposition (FIG. 2).
3. Once the main subject is glued down, nip more tesserae to fill in the background. If necessary, use a tweezers to place small pieces into position (FIG. 3).
4. Allow glue to set for 24 hours.
Step 3 - Grout Project
1. Following the measurements on the grout package, mix up the grout for project. Wear a dust mask when mixing grout.
2. Work grout into spaces between the tesserae with a glove covered hand or a rubber spatula (FIG. 4).
3. Remove excess grout with your hands or a damp sponge (FIG. 5). Grout should be level with the tesserae and all voids and spaces should be filled.
4. Allow grout to dry. A haze will appear on the glass. Remove any excess grout and buff tesserae clean with a paper towel or a soft cloth (FIG. 6).
5. Allow the project to dry for an addition 24 hours. A grout sealant may be applied if desired. Apply as directed but remove all sealant from the glass with a paper towel before sealant dries.
Craft Ideas Mobile
Craft Ideas Mobile
We see that you are trying to access Craft Ideas on a mobile device. For the best experience, click the button below.