Crocheted Americana Throw
Coats & Clark, Inc.
Memorial Day should inspire the red, white, and blue in all of us. Crochet this patriotic throw to show your pride and remember those who lost their lives fighting for your freedom.
- Red Heart Crème de la Crème, 2.5 oz. solids, 5 balls each: Rally Red (CA); White (CB); Navy (CC)
- Crochet hook, J-10 or size needed to obtain gauge
- Yarn needle
CA: Color A
CB: Color B
CC: Color C
dc: double crochet
hdc: half double crochet
sc: single crochet
slip st: slip stitch
yo: yarn over needle
- 1. Size is 39"x48".
- 1. In shell pat panel = 4-1/2" across; 7 rows = 4"
- 1. After the first strip, all others are joined while working Edging Rnd 2. Arrange strips so that the top of Strip A alternates with Strip B, from top to bottom.
- How to Change Color: In dc:
- 1. Work to one st before required color change, yo and draw up a lp in next st, yo and draw lp through 2 lps, drop color in use; with next color to be used, yo and through 2 lps on hook - dc-color change made.
- Strip A (Make 4):
- 1. With CA ch 14.
- 2. Row 1 (Right Side): Sc in 2nd ch from hook, [skip 2 ch; (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) all in next ch - shell made; skip 2 ch, sc in next ch] 2 times; turn.
- 3. Row 2: Ch 3, 2 dc in first sc, sc in next ch-2 sp, shell in next sc, sc in next ch-2 sp, 3 dc in last sc; turn.
- 4. Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first dc, shell in next sc, sc in next ch-2 sp, shell in next sc, sc in top of ch-3; turn.
- 5. Rows 4-5: Rep Rows 2 and 3.
- 6. Row 6: Rep Row 2, changing to CB in last dc. Fasten off CA.
- 7. Rows 7-12: With CB rep Rows 3 and 2, changing to CA in last dc.
- 8. Rep Rows 7-12 for pat, alternating colors as established (6 rows CA and 6 rows CB) 12 more times; change color and rep Rows 3 and 2 twice, then rep Row 3.
- 9. Next Row: Ch 3, [ hdc in next dc, sc in next dc, ch-2 sp and dc, hdc in next dc, dc in next sc] 2 times; turn.
- 10. Last Row: Ch 1, sc in each st across - 13 sc. Fasten off. Each strip = 15 color squares.
- Strip B (Make 3):
- 1. Beginning with CB, work same as Strip A, reversing colors.
- Strip Edging: Rnd 1:
- 1. With right side facing, attach CC to first st of last row, ch 1, (sc, ch 2, sc) all in same st, ** [ch 2, sk 2 sc, sc in next sc] 3 times, ch 2, sk 2 sc, (sc, ch 2, sc) in next sc for corner; working down left edge, * ch 1, sc over post of row end, ch 1, sc in end of next sc row; rep from * ending with ch 1, work corner; rep from ** once more; join with sl st in beg sc.
- Strip Edging: Rnd 2:
- 1. Ch 1, sc in same st as joining, ** (sc, ch 3, sc) all in corner ch-2 sp, sc in sc [(sc, ch 3, sc) in next ch-2 sp, sc in next sc] 4 times; sc in next sc, (sc, ch 3, sc) in corner ch-2 sp, sc in next sc; skipping over sc, * (sc, ch 3, sc) in next ch-1 sp, sc in next ch-1 sp; rep from * across, ending (sc, ch 3, sc) in last ch-1 sp, sc in next sc; rep from ** around; join. Fasten off.
- Second Strip Joining Rnd 2:
- 1. Work Rnd 1 as for First Strip. Begin Rnd 2 and work across top to corner; sc in corner, ch 1, sc in corresponding corner ch-3 sp of First Strip, ch 1, sc in same corner sp on Second Strip, sc in sc, * (sc, ch 1) in next ch-1 sp of Second Strip, sc in corresponding sp of First Strip, ch 1, sc in same sp on Second Strip, sc in next ch-1 sp of Second Strip **; rep from * to ** across to corner, sc in next sc. Complete as for Rnd 2 of First Strip. (Note: Do not fasten off after last strip attached.)
- Border Rnd 1:
- 1. Sl st to corner, ch 1, [(sc, ch 2) 3 times, sc] all in corner sp, * ch 1, (sc, ch 2, sc) in next sp; rep from * to corner, ch 1, [(sc, ch 2) 3 times, sc] all in corner sp; rep from * around.
- Border Rnd 2:
- 1. * Sl st to ch-2 sp, (ch 3, 2 dc) all in same 3 sp; rep from * around; join to beg sl st. Weave in ends.