Baby Cakes Crocheted Blanket
Dimensional cupcakes in soft yarns make a sweet baby blanket for the newborn. Create this unique, layered design to welcome baby home.
- Caron Simply Soft Yarn, 6 oz. skeins: Light Country Peach (9737), Soft Yellow (9726), Orchid (9717), Soft Pink (9719), Soft Blue (9712), Soft Green (9739), White (9701)
- Red Heart Super Saver Cherry Red (319) Yarn, 3 oz. skein
- Crochet hook, size G
- Yarn needle
- ruler or measuring tape, iron and pressing surface, cloth
dc: double crochet
hdc: half double crochet
RS: Right Side
sc: single crochet
sl st: slip stitch
- 1. Size is 30"x30".
- 1. (Note: For squares, make 3 peach, 2 yellow, 3 orchid, 3 green, 3 pink, 2 blue.)
- 2. Rnd 1: Ch 5, join with sl st to form ring, (RS)-ch 3, 2 dc in ring, ch 3, (3 dc, ch 3) 3 times in ring, join with sl st to top of beg ch 3. (12 dc counting ch 3, 4-3-dc sps)
- 3. Rnd 2: Ch 3, *dc in each dc across to next ch 3 sp, (corner), (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in corner sp, rep from * 3 times, join with sl st to top of beg ch 3. (28 dc counting ch 3, 4-3dc sps)
- 4. Rnds 3-6: Rep Rnd 2 ending with-dc in each of remaining dc, sl st to top of beg ch 3. At end of Rnd 6, fasten off. (44, 60, 76, 92 dc counting ch 3, 4-3dc sps)
- Cupcake Tops
- 1. (Note: For cupcake tops, make 3 blue, 3 green, 3 peach, 1 yellow, 2 orchid, 4 pink.)
- 2. Row 1: Ch 16, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, ch 1, turn. (15 sc)
- 3. Row 2: Sc in each sc across, ch 1, turn. (15 sc)
- 4. Row 3: Sc first 2 sc tog, sc in each sc across, sc last 2 sc tog, ch 1, turn. (13 sc)
- 5. Row 4: Rep Row 3. (11 sc)
- 6. Row 5: Rep Row 2. (11 sc)
- 7. Rows 6-7: Rep Row 3. (9, 7 sc)
- 8. Row 8: Rep Row 2. (7 sc)
- 9. Row 9: Sk first st, (sc next 2 sc tog) 3 times, fasten off. (3 sc)
- Cupcake Bottoms
- 1. (Note: For cupcake bottoms, make 4 orchid, 3 pink, 2 green, 4 peach, 2 blue, 1 yellow.)
- 2. Row 1: Ch 7, hdc in 3rd ch from hook and in each ch across, ch 2, turn. (6 hdc counting 2 skipped ch)
- 3. Row 2: 2 hdc in first st, hdc in each st across, 2 hdc in last st, ch 2, turn. (9 hdc counting turning ch)
- 4. Rows 3-5: Rep Row 2. (11, 13, 15 hdc counting turning ch)
- 5. Row 6: Sk first st, 3 hdc in next st, *sk next st, sl st in next st, sk next st, 4 hdc in next st, rep from * twice ending with-3 hdc in last st, ch 2, sl st in same st, fasten off. (4 scallops, 3 sl sts)
- 1. (Note: For hearts, make 16.)
- 2. With Cherry Red, ch 2, (hdc, ch 2, sl st, ch 2, hdc, ch 2, sl st, ch 2,(tip) sl st) in first ch, fasten off, leaving tails for attaching to top of cupcake.
- 1. Press squares lightly with warm steam iron, placing cloth between steam iron and squares.
- 2. Sew cupcake top and bottom pieces together, overlapping edges 1/2", using yarn needle and running stitch.
- 3. Sew hearts to center top of each cupcake placing tip of heart down 1/2" from top edge.
- 4. Sew five French Knots in assorted yarn colors on top of each cupcake for sprinkles.
- 5. Position cupcakes on center of each square, leaving last two rows of squares free. Sew cupcakes to squares using running stitch.
- 6. Sew squares together using yarn needle and whipstitch, picking up back loops only, using layout below for placement of squares.
- 1. Lay out blanket with four rows across and four rows down as following, working left to right and top to bottom:
- 2. Row 1: Peach square/blue cupcake top/orchid cupcake bottom, yellow square/green top/pink bottom, orchid square/peach top/green bottom, green square/yellow top/peach bottom.
- 3. Row 2: Pink square/green top/peach bottom, blue square/peach top/orchid bottom, peach square/blue top/pink bottom, pink square/orchid top/blue bottom.
- 4. Row 3: Green square/pink top/orchid bottom, yellow square/green top/pink bottom, orchid square/peach top/green bottom, blue square/pink top/peach bottom.
- 5. Row 4: Orchid square/pink top/peach bottom, peach square/orchid top/blue bottom, pink square/blue top/orchid bottom, green square/pink top/yellow bottom.
- 1. Rnd 1: With White and with right side of blanket facing you, join with sc in corner ch-3 sp of any corner square, 2 sc in same sp, (corner made) sc evenly all way around blanket having 3 sc in each corner, join with sl st in first sc.
- 2. Rnd 2: Sl st into center sc of corner, ch 5, sl st in 3rd ch from hook, (ch 3, sl st in 3rd ch from hook) twice-picot made-ch 2, sl st in same corner sc, * ch 5, sk next 2 sc, sl st in next sc, ch 5, sl st in 3rd ch from hook, (ch 3, sl st in 3rd ch from hook) twice, ch 2, sk next 2 sc, sl st in next sc, rep from * all the way across until you reach the last 2 sc before corner, (adjusting stitches as necessary for edging to look correct when you get to corner)- ch 5, sk next 2 sc, sl st in corner sc, ch 5, sl st in 3rd ch from hook, (ch 3, sl st in 3rd ch from hook) twice, ch 2, sl st in same corner sc, rep from * twice, **ch 5, sk next 2 sc, sl st in next sc, ch 5, sl st in 3rd ch from hook, (ch 3, sl st in 3rd ch from hook) twice, ch 2, sk next 2 sc, sl st in next sc, rep from ** across 4th side ending with-ch 5, sk last 2 sc, (adjusting stitches as necessary to make edging meet properly at the end)-join with sl st to first sl st, fasten off. Weave in ends.