Givin' Me Fever Knitted Pom-Pom Hat
Pairing the luscious combo of silk and alpaca with the funky texture of mohair, this hat is sure to turn heads and raise temperatures wherever you go. So get ready to perk up those gray winter days with this bold, cozy knitting project!
Knitted Pom Pom Hat
- Kollabora Let’s Shag Mohair Yarn: Chrome Scooter, 2 skeins; Strawberry Alarm Clock, 1 skein
- Kollabora Like a Rolling Stone Smoke Quartz Silk & Baby Alpaca Yarn, 1 skein
- Knitting Needles: Size 8 (or any size needed to obtain gauge); Size 10 for knitting in the round (or any size needed to obtain gauge)
- Yarn needle
- Stitch marker
- Pom-Pom maker, extra large
CO: Cast on
K2tog: Knit 2 together (decrease)
P2tog: Purl 2 together (decrease)
BO: Bind off
RS: Right sides
- 1. One size fits most.
- 1. Gauge is 20 sts in garter ridge rib pattern (holding one strand each of CA and CB and using smaller needles) = 4". For best results, check gauge. (Note: Brim band should measure 1.75" wide. Designer used 36" circular knitting needles along with the "magic loop" method, but a set of double-pointed needles will do.)
- Special Stitches
- 1. Garter Ridge Rib (knit flat): Row 1: (RS) K1, (p1, k2) twice, p1, k1. Row 2: K2, (p2, k1) twice, k1. Row 3: Repeat Row 1. Row 4: Knit. Repeat Rows 1-4 for pattern.
- 2. 3 x 2 Rib (knit in the round): Rnd 1: (RS) K3, p2. Repeat Rnd 1 for pattern.
- 1. Chrome Scooter (CA), Smoke Quartz (CB), and Strawberry Alarm Clock (CC) throughout. Brim band is knit flat in a strip and then seamed. The rest of hat is worked in the round from the brim band up to the crown.
- Hat Brim Band
- 1. Holding one strand each of CA and CB together and using smaller needles, CO 9.
- 2. Follow Garter Ridge Rib pattern until band measures approximately 22" long, ending after Row 3. BO loosely, following pattern for Row 4. Fasten off with a long yarn tails.
- 3. With RS facing and short edges together, use yarn needle to sew edge closed with yarn tails.
- 4. With yarn needle, weave in yarn tails on wrong side. Turn brim band facing out (right side out).
- Hat Body
- 1. Holding one strand each of CA and CC together and using larger needles, begin next to the seam and pick up 80 sts evenly along the long edge of brim band. Place marker and begin working in the round.
- 2. Follow 3 x 2 Rib pattern, moving marker each round. Continue until hat measures approximately 7.5", including brim band.
- Shape Crown
- 1. Rnd 1: *K2tog, k1, p2. Repeat from * around. (64 sts)
- 2. Rnd 2: *K2, p2. Repeat from * around.
- 3. Rnd 3: Repeat Rnd 2.
- 4. Rnd 4: *K2, p2tog. Repeat from * around. (48 sts)
- 5. Rnd 5: *K2, p1. Repeat from * around.
- 6. Rnd 6: Repeat Rnd 5.
- 7. Rnd 7: *K2tog, p1. Repeat from * around. (32 sts)
- 8. Rnd 8: K2tog around. (16 sts)
- 9. Rnd 9: K2tog around. (8 sts)
- 10. Fasten off with long yarn tails. Thread yarn tails through yarn needle. Pull yarn tails firmly through sts several times, drawing tightly to close crown. Remove sts from needle. Finish off by weaving yarn tails inside of hat.
- 1. Holding one strand each of CA and CC, follow manufacturer's instructions to create pom-pom.
- 2. Fasten off with long yarn tails. Thread yarn tails through yarn needle. Position pom-pom at top of crown; use yarn needle and yarn tails to sew pom-pom to hat. Finish off by weaving yarn tails inside of hat.
- 1. Learn how to make your own pom-pom maker from cardboard at: http://bit.ly/DIYpompom.