Create a wave of fun with these surfer dudes!
- 3” plastic-foam ball (will need 2, one for each)
- Flat wooden shapes: two medium circles, medium rectangle, four XL teardrops, two XXL ovals
- Two wooden matchsticks
- Acrylic paints: Tangerine, Lemon Yellow, Indian Turquoise, Petal Pink, Bright Green, Wild Orchid
- Four 10mm round wiggle eyes
- Black permanent fine-tip marker
- Thick craft glue
- 21'-length of orange yarn
- 21'-length of yellow yarn
- Yellow chenille stem
- Orange chenille stem
- scissors, ruler, paintbrush, paper plate (for palette), plastic knife
- Orange Surfer
- 1. Prepare the body. For a flat bottom, use plastic knife to cut one side from ball. Paint ball Tangerine. Let dry.
- 2. Make the hair. Cut thirty 8" lengths from orange yarn. Tie a separate strand around center of bundled lengths. Glue center of hair to top of body; separate strands to cover body. Trim hair ends even with bottom of body.
- 3. Paint wooden items. (Note: Allow paint to dry between coats and color changes.) For feet, paint teardrops Lemon Yellow. For eyes, paint circles Wild Orchid. For sign, paint matchstick and rectangle Turquoise. For surfboard, paint oval Petal Pink; use paintbrush handle to randomly dot all colors on surfboard. Use marker to outline edges of each wooden item except matchstick. Draw a line down center of matchstick. Write "surf's up" on rectangle sign.
- 4. Assemble surfer. See photo. Tie yellow yarn around upper body so knot is at back. Trim ends. Glue wooden eyes side-by-side on top of yellow yarn at center front. Glue wiggle eyes to center of wooden eyes. Glue feet to bottom of body so rounded ends are at front. Glue matchstick to back of sign. For arms, cut two 5" lengths from chenille stem. Insert one end of each arm into sides of body. Wrap sign around one end of one arm. Glue back of surfboard to other arm; curl end for hand.
- Yellow Surfer
- 1. Prepare the body. Follow instructions in Step 1 of Orange Surfer using Lemon Yellow to paint body.
- 2. Make the hair. Follow instructions in Step 2 of Orange Surfer using yellow yarn.
- 3. Paint wooden items. (Note: Allow paint to dry between coats and color changes.) For feet, paint teardrops Tangerine. For eyes, paint circles Indian Turquoise. For sign, paint matchstick and rectangle Wild Orchid. For surfboard, paint oval Bright Green; use all colors to paint wavy horizontal lines. Use marker to outline edges of each wooden item except matchstick and to draw wavy lines between surfboard lines. Draw a line down center of matchstick. Write "catch a wave" on rectangle sign.
- 4. Assemble surfer. Follow instructions in Step 4 of Orange Surfer using orange yarn to tie around upper body.