ch(s) : chain(s) inc : increase k : knit k2tog : knit next 2 sts together mm : millimeters p : purl p2tog : purl next 2 sts together St st : Stockinette stitch (knit on right side rows; purl on wrong side rows) St(s) : stitch(es)
1. Gauge is not critical for this project.
1. Inc: Knit into the front and back of same stitch. 1 stitch increased.
1. Refer to yarn labels for appropriate size needles, and use accordingly.
1. 2 Color Version: 2 rows, B, 2 rows A.
Mittens (Make two)
1. To make cuff ribbing, begin with A (or desired color for solid mitten), cast on 22 sts.
2. Row 1 (RS): *K1, p1; repeat from * across.
3. Repeat Row 1, 5 times more.
1. Next Row (RS): Working in St st, begin desired Stripe Pattern (or continue in solid color) for 2 rows.
1. Row 1 (RS): K10, inc in next 2 sts, k10-24 sts.
2. Row 2 and all even rows: Purl.
3. Row 3: K10, inc, k2, inc, k10-26 sts.
4. Row 5: K10, inc, k4, inc, k10-28 sts.
5. Row 6: Purl.
Divide for Thumb
1. Next Row (RS): K10, cast on 2 sts, place next 8 sts on stitch holder; k10-22 sts. Work even for 9 rows.
1. Next Row (RS): *K2tog; repeat from * across-11 sts.
2. Next Row: *P2tog: repeat from * across to last st, p1. Cut yarn, leaving a long end. Weave through remaining 6 sts, pull tightly to secure.
1. Place 8 sts from holder onto needle; with right side facing, attach yarn.
2. Next Row: Inc, k6, inc-10 sts.
3. Work even for 3 rows.
4. Next Row (RS): *K2tog; repeat from * across.
5. Cut yarn leaving a long end. Weave through remaining 5 sts, pull tightly and fasten.
1. Sew top and thumb seams. Sew thumb base to hand.
2. With crochet hook, attach yarn or thread at thumb side of mitten on beginning edge, ch 50, slip st to other mitten at corresponding thumb edge. Fasten off. Weave in all yarn ends.