Coats and Clark Red Heart Yarn, one skein each: Super Saver Coffee; With Love Tan, Blue Hawaii
Caron Celestial (0011) Simply Soft Yarn, 1 skein
Crochet hook, size I
iron and pressing cloth
ch: chain hdc: half double crochet lp(s): loop(s) prev: previous rep: repeat rnd: round RS: Right Side sc: single crochet sk: skip sl st: slip stitch sp(cs): space(s) st(s): stitch(es) trc: treble crochet yo: yarn over
1. Size is 19-1/2" square.
1. 2 trc cluster-* yo twice, insert hook in st, yo, pull up loop, (yo, pull through 2 lps) twice, rep from *, yo, pull through all 3 lps on hook.
1. (Note: Make five Tan, five Blue Hawaii, seven Tan/Coffee, and eight Blue Hawaii/Celestial. Seven squares will have Rnds 1 and 2 in Tan and Rnd 3 in Coffee; eight squares will have Rnds 1 and 2 in Blue Hawaii and Rnd 3 in Celestial. Ch 2 counts as hdc. Stitch count on squares = 3-1/4".)
2. Ch 4, join to form ring.
3. Round 1: Ch 2, (trc, hdc) in ring, (hdc,trc, hdc) 3 times in ring, join with sl st to top of ch 2. (8 hdc counting ch 2, 4 trc)
4. Round 2: Sl st into sp between ch 2 (counts as hdc) of prev row and trc, ch 3, * 2 trc cluster in next trc, ch 1, hdc in sp between trc and next hdc, ch 1, hdc in sp between next 2 hdc, ch 1, hdc in sp between next hdc and next trc, ch 1, rep from * 2 times, 2 trc cluster in next trc, ch 1, hdc in sp between trc and next hdc, ch 1, hdc in sp between next hdc and ch 2 (counts as hdc) of prev row, ch 1, join to 2nd ch of ch 3. (12 hdc, 4 trc clusters, 16 ch-1 spcs)
5. Round 3: Working in back lps, ch 2, hdc in back lp of next st, *2 trc cluster in sp between next 2 trc, hdc in back lps of next 7 sts, rep from * 2 times, 2 trc cluster in sp between next 2 trc, hdc in back lps of next 5 sts, join to top of ch 2, fasten off. (28 hdc, 4-2trc clusters)
6. Press squares lightly with steam iron on low setting placing cloth between iron and square.
Paw Pads (make 5)
1. With Coffee, ch 4, join to form ring, fasten off and pull tight leaving tails to attach to squares. With yarn needle, bring both tails to center back on back side of paw pad. Place paw pad just below center of all Blue Hawaii squares and pull tails through to back side using yarn needle. Tie in knot, securing tightly to square; weave in ends. For toes, wrap yarn around needle twice; make four French Knots evenly spaced above paw pad using photo as guide. Weave in ends.
1. Lay out squares in rows of five across from left to right and five down from top to bottom as follows:
2. Rows 1, 3, 5: Blue Hawaii/Celestial, Blue Hawaii, Tan/Coffee, Tan, Blue Hawaii/Celestial
3. Rows 2, 4: Tan/Coffee, Tan, Blue Hawaii/Celestial, Blue Hawaii, Tan/Coffee Sew squares together with whipstitch and yarn needle on back side of blanket attaching to back of squares only.
1. Round 1: (RS) Join Blue Hawaii with sc in corner of any square, 2 sc in same corner, sc evenly spaced all the way around blanket having 3 sc in each corner, join with sl st to first sc.
2. Rounds 2, 3: Rep Rnd 1 with Coffee, (working in back lps for this rnd only,) then Celestial for Rnd 3.
3. Round 4: Join Tan with sc in any corner sc, sc in same corner, ch 2, sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in same corner, sc in each of next 2 sc, * ch 2, sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in each of next 2 sc, rep from * across to next corner adjusting stitches if necessary, (2 sc, ch 2, sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sc) in corner, sc in each of next 2 sc,** rep between * and ** 2 times, rep from * to * until you reach very first corner, join with sl st to first sc, fasten off.