Pattern - Faux Embossed Leather Journal
- 1. Print out full-size patterns. Load pattern into embroidery machine. Select larger design if your machine can use a 360x200mm hoop; if not, use smaller design and repeat three times.
- 2. Thread machine with 40-weight rayon thread. Wind bobbin with 60-weight bobbin thread.
- 3. Position tear-away stabilizer in hoop. Cut 10"x15" of batting; position in hoop on top of stabilizer. Position marine vinyl right side up on top of batting.
- 4. Baste vinyl and batting to stabilizer by touching Fix button or activating Baste on screen. If machine cannot baste in hoop, spray adhesive on stabilizer and batting to keep layers from moving. Pin layers to stabilizer for additional security. Embroider design. When finished, take vinyl out of hoop and remove basting stitch. Turn project over and trim away batting and stabilizer close to stitched lines.
- 5. Wearing gloves, apply paint onto vinyl and spread evenly with hands. Paint will absorb into background and thread. Rub off excess with cloth to remove paint from floral design, leaving background painted. If paint dries too fast, dampen cloth to make it easier to lift paint. Let dry.
- 6. Cut 7-3/4"x11-1/2" of marine vinyl and lining fabric. Cut two 7-3/4"x8" pockets from lining fabric.
- 7. Position vinyl with right side up. Fold fabric for pockets in half to measure 7-3/4"x4". Position pocket on either end of vinyl, matching raw edges along outside edges. Machine-sew in place using 1/4" seam allowance. Pin lining to vinyl with right sides together. Machine-sew 5" from top of pocket. Stop at corner, pivot, and continue to sew, stopping 3" from beginning, leaving opening.
- 8. Trim corners. Turn right side out through opening. Position project on pressing surface with vinyl side down; turn pockets to other side so opening is now hidden by pockets. Position pressing cloth on top of vinyl. Press edges. Attach blind hem foot on machine and move needle to left on fabric. Machine topstitch around journal cover edges to finish. Insert journal.
- 1. Rayon and cotton threads are made from natural fibers and will absorb paint color used after embroidery.
- 2. To make covers for different size books, measure dimensions with book opened flat and add 1/2" on all sides to calculate cutting size. Cut lining the same size as your main piece.