Pattern - Rainbow Trout Cross-Stitch Box
- 1. Backstitch design using one strand DMC 310 Black.
- 2. Trace box lid onto cardboard. Measure inside oval 1/8" around perimeter of tracing. Cut out cardboard along marked line.
- 3. Adhere batting onto top of cardboard. Trim excess.
- 4. Trace box lid centered over stitching. Measure outside oval 1/2" around perimeter of tracing. Cut out oval. Remove tracing lines.
- 5. Mount stitching over batting, turning excess fabric to back of cardboard and adhering in place. (Note: It may be necessary to clip fabric to make it lay flat but be careful to not cut fabric too close to design.)
- 6. On covered work surface, brush Walnut stain on box and lid. While still wet, wipe off excess stain using paper towel.
- 7. Cut 1"x2" sponge scrap. Wet sponge. Wring out excess water. Dip edge of sponge into Splendid Gold paint. Tap off excess paint on paper towel. Randomly tap paint onto box and lid. Repeat process using Rich Espresso paint. Let dry.
- 8. When paint is completely dry, apply one coat Satin Varnish onto box and lid.
- 9. Adhere mounted stitching to box lid.
- 10. For border, separate one skein of DMC 500 Blue Green-VY DK floss into two bunches. Twist bunches together creating cording. Adhere cording around perimeter of lid. Let dry.
- 1. When adhering stitched design and batting to cardboard scrap, hold fabric in place with plastic clothespins until glue sets.