These delicate, dimensional flowers might be popping up on more than a pillow sham once you learn how easy it is to do silk ribbon embroidery!
- White pillow sham 16” square
- Pillow form, 16” square
- Silk embroidery ribbon, 4mm wide: periwinkle, 1-1/2 yds.; creamy yellow, 1/2 yd.; light avocado, 1 yd.; lemon yellow, 1/2 yd.; dusty purple, 3/4 yd.; lichen green, 1/2 yd.
- Silk embroidery ribbon, 7mm wide: light pink, 3/4 yd.; pale shamrock, 1/2 yd.
- Tulip Soft Matte Fabric Paints: Olive, Cool Blue
- Ivy or leaf rubber stamp of choice
- Chenille needles: #20, #22
- Parchment paper, 15-3/4” square
- 1. Handwash sham; lay flat to dry. Press. Insert parchment paper to protect back surface while stamping front. Place sham on flat work surface so opening is positioned vertically in back. Mix equal parts Olive and Cool Blue. Apply paint evenly to stamp with sponge. (Note: Practice on scrap fabric before stamping sham.) Beginning 2-1/2" from upper left corner and ending 3" from lower right side, stamp ivy on sham as shown in photo. (Note: Designer applied stamp several times to achieve results shown.) Let dry 24 hours before proceeding.
- 2. To thread needle, insert ribbon end through eye of needle, pulling through 3" length. Pierce 3" length with needle, about 1/2" from end. Pull back on opposite end until it locks securely around eye of needle. To secure ribbon, insert needle through fabric, leaving a 1/2" length at back. When taking first few stitches, catch the length with needle at back. When finished stitching design, tie a slip knot to secure ribbon at back. (Note: Do not drag ribbon from one design to next. Fasten off and begin next design with new ribbon.)
- 3. For periwinkle flowers, work seven petals using lazy daisy stitch. Make large creamy yellow French knot at center. (Note: Wrap ribbon around needle three times for French knots.) Make three avocado lazy daisy leaves.
- 4. For light pink flowers, make three lemon yellow French knots close together for center. Work nine light pink petals using straight stitch. Make three pale shamrock straight-stitch leaves.
- 5. For dusty purple bud clusters, make one group of five dusty purple French knots and one group of seven. (Note: Leave ribbon slightly loose to form "sloppy" knots.) Make random lichen green straight-stitch leaves around each knot.
- 6. Insert pillow form into sham.
- 1. Silk ribbon stitching only looks intimidating. Follow the tutorials below to find out just how easy it can be to embroider with ribbon.
- Straight Stitch
- 1. To create a straight stitch, come up at A, then go down at B, keeping ribbon flat. (Note: May be taut or loose depending on desired effect)
- French Knot
- 1. Bring needle up through fabric; smoothly wrap ribbon once around needle. (Note: For this project, wrap ribbon round needle three times.)
- 2. Hold ribbon securely off to one side and push needle down through fabric at starting point.
- Lazy Daisy
- 1. Bring needle up at A. Keep ribbon flat, untwisted, and full. Insert needle down through fabric at B and back up through at C, keeping ribbon under needle to form a loop. Pull ribbon through, leaving loop loose and full. To hold loop in place, insert needle through on other side of ribbon near C, forming a straight stitch over loop.