- Zweigart 32-count White Belfast Linen
- Cotton print fabric, 3/4 yd.
- Purple cotton fabric, 1/2 yd.
- Coordinating-color sewing thread
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss
- Polyester fiberfill stuffing
- Pillow form, 7”x11”
- Sewing needle and sewing machine
- Tapestry needle, #24
- Disappearing ink pen
- scissors, ruler, straight pins
Cross-stitch: 2 strands
Backstitch: 1 strand
French Knot: 1 strand (wrapped two times)
Straight Stitch: 1 strand (unless otherwise noted)
Pattern - Cross-Stitch Keeping Watch Pillow
- Size / Stitch Count
- 1. Design, 9-1/4"x5-1/2"; finished project, 14"x10"; stitch count, 149 w x 89 h;
- 1. All seam allowances are 1/2".
- 1. Cross-stitch design centered on fabric over two threads. Backstitch design as indicated using one strand floss. Straight stitch design as indicated using one strand floss; straight stitch border using two strands floss.
- 2. Using disappearing ink pen, measure and mark 1-1/4" from edge of finished design. Trim finished cross-stitch piece to measure approximately 14-1/2"x10-3/4".
- 3. For ruffle, cut print fabric strip to measure 4"x80", piecing as necessary. Fold wrong sides together lengthwise; baste and gather fabric strip. Turn strip under 1" on one end.
- 4. With right sides together, starting with turned under end of strip, with raw edges even (ruffle toward center), pin ruffle in place along cross-stitch rectangle. Adjust gathers as you go, overlapping ends. Sew strip in place. Trim seam. Press ruffle to center, pinning to keep in place away from seam.
- 5. For backing fabric, cut 14-1/2"x10-3/4" purple fabric rectangle. With right sides together, sew purple rectangle and cross-stitch rectangle together, leaving opening at bottom for turning and to insert pillow form. Turn rectangle right side out. Remove pins from ruffle.
- 6. Insert pillow form into finished rectangle. Slipstitch opening closed.
- 1. For helpful stitching information, check out the stitch diagrams shown under Stitch Types located on our Tutorials Tab.