- 17”x11” White 10-count Gold Standard Aida (Charles Craft)
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC)
- 3/4 yd. 3/8”-wide Dots and Dashes Ribbon (Michaels Stores)
- 1 Inner Roll from Paper Towels
- (1) 15”x18” White Quilt Batting
- White Glue
- Paper Clips
Cross-stitch: 2 strands
Backstitch: 1 strand
French Knot: 1 strand
Open Herringbone: 2 strands
Pattern - Letters
Pattern - Christmas Crackers for Two
- 1. Cut fabric into two equal pieces, 15"x9". Chart name from alphabet given, and stitch graph as shown. After name is stitched, add upper and lower edging for ribbon placement. Stitch greenery and berries 1-3 spaces from each end of name. Count in 6 squares from edge and blanket stitch 2 squares wide and high along side selvedges. Ribbon: last. Cut 2 pieces 14" long.
- 2. Lay one flat between spaced herringbone stitches. Secure thread to back, and space long vertical couching stitches to hold ribbon in place.
- 3. To fi nish, apply white glue to roll from paper towels (PTR). Lay it lengthwise on batting and roll. Secure ends with paper clips and allow glue to dry overnight. Measure stitching of name section with berries, and add one inch. With craft knife, cut section of PTR to measurement. Place stitching face down on clean surface, and fold one long end back 1/2". Finger press. Put PTR in center. Roll Aida as firmly as possible, and with folded edge on top, tack along edge with white thread. NOTE: This is when candy and surprises are inserted into roll.
- 4. Cut two pieces of ribbon 24" long. Tie one piece at each end, getting as close to the PTR as possible. Cut two more pieces of PTR (1" to 1-1/2", depending on need) and stick in ends. Secure edges of ends with white thread. Fringe by pulling threads between edge and blanket stitch.