Mystery, Part 3 - Tapestry Wall Art
- DecoArt: SoSoft Fabric Acrylics: Antique Gold, Avocado Green, Bittersweet Orange, Brown, Buttermilk, Cadmium Orange, Cadmium
Yellow, Olive Green, Peaches &
Cream, Pistachio Green, Red
Pepper, White; SoSoft Metallics: Bright Blue Metallic, Imperial Gold Metallic
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell: La-Corneille Golden Taklon: Script
Liner, Series 7050, #1; Fabric Brushes: Flat, Series FAB 6F, 8F, 12F; Stencil, Series 225, 1/2”;
White Nylon: Shader, Series 796, #10
- DecoArt Mediums: Transparent
- Curtain rod
- Placemat and matching napkins
- Climbing vine stencil or stencil of
- Stencil adhesive spray
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Straight pins
- Iron and ironing board
- 1. Wash placemat; do not use fabric softeners or drying sheets. Iron if needed.
- 2. Print out pattern; transfer basic details onto placemat.
- 1. Use wet-into-wet technique to paint leaves, flowers, branches, and background. Apply a layer of Transparent Medium first to allow paint to move easier, then scrub in color as instructed.
- 1. Working approximately six leaves at a time, use #8F to apply even coat Medium and scrub into surface. Use same brush and Avocado Green to scrub shadow areas along bottom of leaves and up through center. Alternate one of the following four colors and scrub along upper edge
of leaves and through center: Antique
Gold, Pistachio Green, Cadmium Yellow, or equal mix of Buttermilk + Avocado Green. Using same brush, scrub Buttermilk into highlight areas. (Note: This will pick up wet color underneath to give some nice golds and olives.) Reinforce deepest shadows using one of the following three colors: Olive Green, Brown, or Bright Blue Metallic. Continue same for remaining leaves.
- 1. Working approximately three flowers at a
time, use #8F to apply even coat Medium
and scrub into surface. Use same brush
and Cadmium Orange to scrub around flower center working approximately half way up each petal. Use Peaches & Cream to scrub outer edges of petal, working towards and meeting orange in middle. Reinforce shadows with mix of Bittersweet Orange + tch. of Brown. Using same brush, scrub Buttermilk or mix of Cadmium Yellow + tch. of Buttermilk to reinforce highlights.
- 2. Use liner and Brown to dab centers;
highlight with dabs of Buttermilk. Using same brush, line stamens with mix of Brown + tch. of Olive Green.
- 3. Repeat entire process for remaining
- 1. Use #6F to apply Medium in same manner as leaves and flowers. Use chisel edge of same brush to paint branches: use equal mix of Brown + Bright Blue Metallic to scrub in shaded areas and use Buttermilk to add highlights.
- 1. Apply Medium to background areas along bottom and up approximately half way along right side. Randomly scrub in Olive Green, Bright Blue Metallic, Avocado Green, and Pistachio Green. Let dry thoroughly.
- 1. Use #12F to undercoat Buttermilk. Let dry. Base Cadmium Orange. Float Red Pepper shadow along bottom; reinforce with Brown. Float Peaches & Cream highlight across top.
- 1. Apply adhesive to back of stencil; allow to dry and pat off excess spray
with paper towel. Press stencil firmly
in place. Use stencil brush and mix of Medium + Avocado Green (2:1) to pick up small amount of paint; pat on palette to remove excess, and use straight up and down motion to pat over open areas of stencil applying two thin coats. (Note: Applying paint too heavily will cause color to bleed under stencil edges.) Repeat as needed to create border.
- 2. Use liner and equal mix of Bittersweet
Orange + Brown to band design. Let dry. Reinforce band with Imperial Gold Metallic.
- 3. Follow manufacturer’s directions for
care of hand painted pieces.
- 4. For hangers, cut six 4”x7-3/4” pieces from matching napkins. With right sides facing, fold in half to measure 2”x7-3/4”. Sew raw edges together in 1/4” seams leaving one short end open; turn right side out. Turn raw edges in 1/4”, press, and stitch around entire hanger in a 1/8” seam. Fold hangers in half; pin short ends to back (or front)
corners of each tapestry design and sew
in place. Remove pins.