Teddy Bear Cottage
- File box with lid (8”x11-1/4”x4” without lid)
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Bittersweet Chocolate, Boysenberry Pink, Bubblegum Pink, Burnt Umber, Buttermilk, Cherry Red, Forest Green, Hauser Dark Green, Hauser Light Green, Hauser Medium Green, Mustard Seed, Raw Sienna, Sapphire, Tomato Red, Warm White
- Royal & Langnickel Brushes: Majestic: Angular, Series R4160, 1/8”, 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2”; Short Liner, Series R4595, #0; Round, Series R4250, #4, #6; Aqualon: Shader, Series R2150, #2, #4, #6, #10; Glaze Wash, Series R2700, 1”
- Stencil brush, 1/8”
- DecoArt DuraClear Varnish, Matte
- White tube sock
- 1. Base sides of box with two coats Cherry Red; set aside. Base lid and lid sides with two coats Buttermilk, sanding lightly between coats. Wrap a piece of slightly dampened white tube sock around two index fingers; dab into Burnt Umber and rub over entire lid, then randomly “scuff” surface with same cloth to achieve a mottled background keeping antiqued look light.
- 2. Mask off 1/8” border around top edge of lid and along top side edges of lid; run finger along tape edges for tight seal. Paint borders Sapphire. Remove tape. Use 1/2” angular to shade Burnt Umber along inner and outer edges of blue borders.
- 3. Print out pattern; transfer basic pattern lines onto lid top and leaf design on lid sides. Paint leaf design Warm White; shade Burnt Umber under each leaf.
- 4. Using photo as guide, base green sections of house Hauser Med. Green and red sections Cherry Red. Use Raw Sienna to base chimney, front door, and sign above doorway. Use Warm White to base candy cane sections and hanging teddy bear sign. Wash windowpanes Buttermilk.
- 1. Use thinned Forest Green to add swirl detailing to green sections of house. Use Hauser Med. Green to shade along all edges of green sections including window frames; repeat to darken. Repeat once again using 1/8” angular and Hauser Dk. Green. Wash Forest Green around door area; repeat to darken.
- 2. Base window frame at very top of house Cherry Red. Use Tomato Red to shade awning, shutters, and window frame; line shutter louvers. Add Hauser Lt. Green detail to awning. Base all remaining window frames Raw Sienna; shade Burnt Umber along outer edges.
- 3. Base top window flowerbox Raw Sienna; add Bittersweet Chocolate vertical stripes. Shade Mustard Seed along left side of all windowpanes; deepen with Burnt Umber. Base all holly leaves Hauser Lt. Green; use Hauser Med. Green to shade and add detailing. Base all flowers Boysenberry Pink; add Bubblegum Pink swirls. Use stylus to randomly dot Hauser Dk. Green between leaves and flowers.
- 4. For red roof tops, use Tomato Red to shade edges and to shade tile layers. For bottom red section of house, walk Tomato Red shading down quite a bit to give curved area illusion of greater depth; shade along sides and bottom, then use same color to add vertical stripes. Add Tomato Red stripes to all candy cane sections.
- 5. Paint “Collectibles Cottage” wording Warm White. Use Tomato Red to shade top decorative piece above “Collectibles Cottage” sign; shade red areas under sign. Use Burnt Umber to shade door and to line panels. Dry brush Warm White snow drifts on each panel. Paint doorknob Bittersweet Chocolate. Add Cherry Red decorative detailing above door frame. Paint teddy bears Burnt Umber leaving paint streaky. Add Bittersweet Chocolate noses and eyes.
- 6. Add Cherry Red iron swirls to top sections of house.
- 1. Using photo as guide base blue ornaments Sapphire and remaining ornament Mustard Seed. Dry brush Warm White highlights in center of each; add comma stroke final highlight. Paint wire hooks Bittersweet Chocolate.
Teddy Bear Sign
- 1. Base frame Cherry Red. Shade Burnt Umber around white edges of sign. Paint wording Bittersweet Chocolate. Use Hauser Dk. Green to paint floral detailing under wording. Paint wire hanger Sapphire.
Chimney and Stars
- 1. Use Burnt Umber to shade chimney edges; add Bittersweet Chocolate vertical stripes. Line smoke Warm White; use 1/8” angular to shade Burnt Umber along bottom edges.
Barren Trees and Stars
- 1. Line trunks and branches Bittersweet Chocolate twisting brush as you work upward. Add Warm White snow hints here and there in crooks of branches. Base stars Warm White; shade Burnt Umber.
Snow and Path
- 1. Use Warm White to “blob” snow along roof and on ground. Allow to dry several hours. Paint path Hauser Dk. Green. Pencil in a candy cane on snow; add Cherry Red stripes. Use appropriate angular brush and Burnt Umber to lightly shade behind all edges of house, teddy bear sign, and around ground snow.
- 1. Apply two to three varnish coats.