Spring Tulip Fling
- Oval plaque with stand (#207-0369), 6"x12" from Viking Woodcrafts
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Antique Maroon, Burnt Orange, Buttermilk, Cadmium Yellow, Camel, Canyon Orange, Foliage Green, Hauser Medium Green, Honey Brown, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Lavender, Orange Twist, Poodleskirt Pink, Purple Cow, Santa Red, Snow (Titanium) White, Williamsburg Blue, Winter Blue
- FM Dynasty Black Gold brushes, Series 206: Shader, #2, #6, #10, #12; Liner, #1, #2; Mini Script, #20/0; Angular, 1/2
- Optional: Stencil brushes: 1/4", 3/8", 5/8", 1"
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte
- Optional: The Creative Coach Stencils: Tulips and Blooms (BCS131); Stars (BCS160); Feline Friends (BCS193)
- 1. I used stencils to create this project. The design can be basecoated by transferring the pattern and painting the design with traditional brushes. Choose a brush that best fits the area; shader brushes are used to basecoat, liners are used for adding detail and basecoating small areas of color, and a stylus is used to make dots and eyes.
- 2. When stenciling, pounce color through opening of stencil using an up and down motion. Use largest brush possible in an area to create even coverage. Tap off excess paint from brush prior to pouncing on surface. Too much paint will cause seepage under stencil. Start by pouncing color in center of stencil opening and work to outside; lighten pressure around edges. Use painter's tape to hold stencil in place and to mask off adjacent areas that paint should not enter.
- 3. Base oval plaque Winter Blue. Spatter Williamsburg Blue, then spatter Snow White. Base stand Williamsburg Blue.
- 4. Print out pattern; transfer basic pattern lines onto surfaces. (Transfer details as needed.) Base blue stars and dots Williamsburg Blue and yellow stars Cadmium Yellow.
- 1. Base head and body Camel. Use Honey Brown to lightly pounce edges or to shade. Dry brush bellies Buttermilk. Base muzzle Buttermilk; shade Honey Brown. Base nose French Mauve; shade Antique Maroon and highlight Snow White. Dot cheeks Honey Brown and Snow White. Line whiskers Buttermilk. Line hair tufts at top of head Honey Brown. Paint eyes Lamp Black; add Snow White highlight dots. Use black permanent fine-line marker to draw eyebrows and bows.
- 1. Base purple tulips Purple Cow and shade Lavender. Base red tulips Santa Red and shade Antique Maroon. Base pink tulips Poodleskirt Pink and shade Antique Maroon. Base orange tulips Orange Twist then pounce over with Canyon Orange; shade Burnt Orange. Highlight all tulips Snow White.
- 2. Base leaves Foliage Green and shade Hauser Med. Green. Add Hauser Med. Green veins.
- 1. Base head and body Lamp Black. Base shells Santa Red and shade Antique Maroon. Use Lamp Black to add dots, antennae, arms and legs. Paint eyes Snow White and dot pupils Lamp Black. Line stripes on bodies Snow White.
- 1. Apply two to three sealer coats.