Mystery, Part 2
- DecoArt: SoSoft Fabric Acrylics: Antique Gold, Avocado Green, Bittersweet Orange, Brown, Buttermilk, Cadmium Orange,
Cadmium Yellow, Olive Green, Peaches & Cream, Pistachio Green, Red Pepper, White; SoSoft Metallics: Bright Blue Metallic,
Imperial Gold Metallic
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell: La-Corneille Golden Taklon: Script
Liner, Series 7050, #1; Fabric Brushes: Flat, Series FAB 6F, 8F,
12F; Stencil, Series 225, 1/2”;
White Nylon: Shader, Series 796, #10
- DecoArt Mediums: Transparent Medium
- Climbing vine stencil or stencil of
- Stencil adhesive spray
- 1. Wash placemat; do not use fabric
softeners or drying sheets. Iron if
- 2. Print out pattern; transfer basic details onto placemat.
- 1. Use wet-into-wet technique to paint leaves, flowers, branches, and background. Apply a layer of Transparent Medium first to allow paint to move easier, then scrub in color as instructed.
- 1. Working approximately six leaves at a time, use #8F to apply even coat Medium and scrub into surface. Use same brush and Avocado Green to scrub shadow areas along bottom of leaves and up through center. Alternate one of the following four colors and scrub along upper edge of leaves and through center: Antique Gold, Pistachio Green, Cadmium Yellow, or equal mix of Buttermilk + Avocado Green. Using same brush, scrub Buttermilk into highlight areas. (Note: This will pick up wet color underneath to give some nice golds and olives.) Reinforce deepest shadows using one of the following three colors: Olive Green, Brown, or Bright Blue Metallic. Continue same for remaining leaves.
- 1. Working approximately three flowers at a time, use #8F to apply even coat
Medium and scrub into surface. Use same brush and Cadmium Orange to scrub around flower center working approximately half way up each petal.
Use Peaches & Cream to scrub outer
edges of petal, working towards and
meeting orange in middle. Reinforce
shadows with mix of Bittersweet Orange
+ tch. of Brown. Using same brush, scrub
Buttermilk or mix of Cadmium Yellow +
tch. of Buttermilk to reinforce highlights.
- 2. Use liner and Brown to dab centers Brown; highlight with dabs of Buttermilk. Using same brush, line stamens with mix of Brown + tch. of Olive Green.
- 3. Repeat entire process for remaining
- 1. Use #6F to apply Medium in same manner as leaves and flowers. Use chisel edge of same brush to paint branches: use equal mix of Brown + Bright Blue to
scrub in shaded areas and use Buttermilk
to add highlights.
- 1. Apply Medium to background areas along bottom. Randomly scrub in Olive Green, Bright Blue, Avocado Green, and Pistachio Nut. Let dry thoroughly.
- 1. Use #12F to undercoat Buttermilk. Let
dry. Base Cadmium Orange. Float Red
Pepper shadow along bottom; reinforce
with Brown. Float Peaches & Cream
highlight across top.
- 1. Use #12F to base with equal mix of
Buttermilk + Cadmium Yellow; float
Cadmium Yellow along ends of wings. Use Cadmium Orange to float next to body and along lower edges of wings; reinforce with Bittersweet Orange. Use
liner and mix of Brown + tch. of Olive
Green to paint antennae, body, and wing
details. Highlight body Cadmium Yellow.
- 1. Apply adhesive to back of stencil; allow
to dry and pat off excess spray with
paper towel. Press stencil firmly in place. Use stencil brush and mix of Medium + Avocado Green (2:1) to pick up
small amount of paint; pat on palette to
remove excess, and use straight up and
down motion to pat over open areas of
stencil applying two thin coats. (Note:
Applying paint too heavily will cause
color to bleed under stencil edges.)
Repeat as needed to create border.
- 2. Use liner and equal mix of Bittersweet
Orange + Brown to band design. Let dry. Reinforce band with Imperial Gold
- 3. Follow manufacturer’s directions for care of hand painted pieces.