Hummingbird Cake with Pecan Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1. 1 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped
- 2. 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3. 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 4. 1 tsp. baking soda
- 5. 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6. 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 7. 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 8. 3/4 cup safflower or canola oil
- 9. 1-1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 10. 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple; do not drain
- 11. 2 cups mashed ripe bananas; three to four medium sized bananas
- 1. Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Place rack in center of oven. Butter or spray two 9”x2” round cake pans. Place pecans on baking sheet and bake in oven about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and chop finely; set aside. In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon; set aside. In another large bowl, mix together eggs, oil, vanilla extract, pineapple, mashed bananas, and finely chopped pecans. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture and stir until combined. Divide batter evenly between cake pans and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack 10 minutes; invert cakes onto wire rack and remove pans. Cool completely.
Pecan Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1. 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2. 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 3. 1 lb. box (about 3-2/3 cups) confectioners sugar
- 4. 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 5. 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1. In bowl, beat butter and cream cheese on low speed until very smooth with no lumps. Gradually add sifted powdered sugar and beat on low speed until fully incorporated and smooth. Beat in vanilla extract and finely chopped pecans.
- 1. Place one cake, top side down, onto serving platter; spread with third of frosting. Gently place remaining cake, top side up, on top. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides. Garnish with pecan halves to decorate. Refrigerate cake about one hour allowing frosting to set.