Garden Party and Hummingbird Cake Recipe
- Apron and tote available through MR Design Collection or Bag Works
- Terra Cotta pots, 6”-wide
- Watering can of choice
- Canvas garden gloves
- Kneeling pad
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylics: Bubblegum Pink, Mistletoe, Orange Twist, Pink Chiffon, Raw Sienna, Royal Fuchsia, Snow (Titanium) White, Soft Peach Sour Apple, Taffy Cream, Tangelo Orange; SoSoft Fabric Acrylics: Antique Gold, Baby Pink Deep, Bittersweet Orange, Burnt Sienna, Cadmium Yellow, Dark Burgundy, Fuchsia, Hauser Dark Green, Hauser Light Green, Lamp Black, Tangerine, White, Yellow Green; SoSoft Shimmering Pearls: Light Blue, Magenta, White
- FM Dynasty brushes: Black Gold, Series 206: Shader, #2, #6 #10, #14; Flat Wash, 3/4”; Round, #1; Script, #10/0, #1; Filbert, #8; Wave, #16; Oval Wash, 3/4”; Decorator Collection: Mini Mop, Series 400, 1/2”; Deerfoot, Series 300, 1/2”
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte; DuraClear Varnish, Satin
- Loew-Cornell Cone Style Stix, S, M, L
- Clear wide packing tape or contact paper
- 1. Wash all fabric items; do not use fabric softeners or dryer sheets. Hang dry; iron flat.
- 2. For terra cotta pots, sand and seal, both inside and out; allow to cure overnight. Base one pot, inside and out, Bubblegum Pink and the other Orange Twist.
- 3. For watering can, tape off a 4-1/2”x9-1/2” rectangle at bottom of one side of watering can. (Note: Adjust rectangle as needed for various cans.) Sand area lightly to etch or dull; wipe dust and seal. Allow to cure overnight.
- 4. Print out patterns; transfer basic pattern lines. (Transfer detailing as needed.)
- 1. Use liners to do all line work; thin paint to inky consistency and blot tip on paper towel to “sharpen” point. Use shaders for floating; soften floats gently over water’s edge with mop brush. Use SoftSoft Acrylics for fabrics.
- 2. Note: Use American Acrylics for pots, watering can, and kneeling pad, and use SoSoft Fabric and Shimmering Pearl acrylics for garden gloves, apron, and tote bag.
Terra Cotta Pots
- 1. Orange Pot: Use #8 shader to paint Sour Apple vertical stripes around rim spacing each 1/4” apart; shade Mistletoe along left side of stripes. Add Taffy Cream stripes along either side of Sour Apple stripes.
- 2. Base petals Bubblegum Pink and center Taffy Cream; shade Royal Fuchsia along left side of petal and behind flower center. Highlight Pink Chiffon along right side of petals. Stipple center again with Taffy Cream; while wet, stipple Snow White highlights along top and stipple Raw Sienna shading along bottom. Use stylus to add Snow White dots in highlight area and Raw Sienna dots in shaded area of flower center.
- 3. Use small style stix and Royal Fuchsia to add five petal flowers randomly around open areas of pot. Dot Taffy Cream centers, then use stylus to add Tangelo Orange dot in very center. Use stylus to add random Sour Apple tri-dots, then randomly dot single Taffy Cream and Royal Fuchsia dots.
- 4. Pink Pot: Use #10 shader to paint Orange Twist vertical stripes around rim spacing each 3/8” apart; shade Tangelo Orange along left side of stripes. Use #1 liner to add three vertical Sour Apple stripes in pink sections.
- 5. Base petals Orange Twist and center Sour Apple. Shade petals Tangelo Orange; highlight Soft Peach. Stipple center again with Sour Apple; while wet, stipple Snow White highlights along top and stipple Mistletoe shading along bottom. Use stylus to add Snow White dots in highlight area and Misteltoe in shaded area of flower center.
- 6. In same manner as Orange Pot, use small style stix to randomly dot five Taffy Cream petals and Tangelo Orange center; add Orange Twist dot to very center. Tri-dot Orange Twist dots, and add separate Snow White and Sour Apple dots.
- 1. Base rectangle area Sour Apple. Use #8 shader to paint 1/2” long Bubblegum Pink checks along edges spacing each 1/4” apart; shade Royal Fuchsia along left side. Use #1 liner to add Tangelo Orange stripes to each side of pink stripes.
- 2. Base lettering Bubblegum Pink; use #1 liner to outline and shade Royal Fuchsia along left side and to highlight Pink Chiffon along right side. Add Mistletoe shadow on left side of letters. Use small style stix to add random flowers and dots in same manner as pots mixing and matching colors.
- 1. Use #10 shader to paint 1/2” long Taffy Cream checks along outer edges spacing each 1/2” apart; shade Raw Sienna along left side. Use #1 liner to add Bubblegum Pink stripe between checks. In same manner as pots, use large style stix to add random flowers and dots mixing and matching colors.
- 1. Use filbert to base ladybugs Magenta Pearl. Use stylus to add random Yellow Green dots. Use 10/0 liner to paint Dk. Burgundy dividing lines and eyes; paint Lamp Black legs. Use medium style stix to paint White and Baby Pink Deep flowers in same manner as pots; dot centers Cadmium Yellow.
- 1. Flower: Place pattern on apron and align with right edge; use pencil to lightly trace around petals. Base petals Baby Pink Deep and center Cadmium Yellow. Allow to dry at least three hours. Use small style stix to randomly dot petals Yellow Green. Use oval wash to shade Fuchsia along top of petals and where each petal overlaps another. Use wave brush to rake Fuchsia around flower center pulling from center edge out; deepen with Dk. Burgundy. Float White wishy-washy highlights in middle of each petal; dampen petals one at a time with clean 1” brush or fine mist spray bottle to help soften and glide brush.
- 2. Use deerfoot to stipple fresh coat Cadmium Yellow on flower center; while wet, stipple White highlight along top and Tangerine shading along bottom. Use handle end of brush to dot Dk. Burgundy along bottom of flower center and White along top.
- 3. Wording: Use packing tape or contact paper to cover design area of pattern to prevent stylus from poking through paper. Use photo as guide to place wording on apron. Tape in place and use new graphite sheet to transfer design. (Note: Once design is transferred, lift and fold back pattern leaving it attached for possible use later.) Base all letters Tangerine. Outline Bittersweet Orange along left side and Cadmium Yellow along right. Use #1 script to add shorter White line on right side. Use small style stix to add random flowers, in same manner as pots, mixing and matching colors; use stylus to scatter White dots around flowers.
- 4. Checked Border: Stroke Fuchsia checks around apron trim; dot Yellow Green between Fuchsia checks.
- 5. Caterpillar: Use appropriate size style stix to “base” body sections Hauser Lt. Green; shade each section Hauser Dk. Green and highlight White. Use Lamp Black to paint face details, antennae, and legs.
- 6. Dragonfly: Base body and legs Lamp Black; add tiny Pearl White markings on back. Wash wings Pearl White, then outline edges White.
- 7. Butterfly: Base wings Cadmium Yellow, body Lamp Black, and eyes White. Float Antique Gold to divide wings. Use appropriate size style stix to add Tangerine dots on wings; add Baby Pink Deep and Fuchsia comma strokes. Add Pearl White dots along wing edges. Use White to paint face details. Dot nose Cadmium Yellow. Add Lamp Black antennae, pupils, lashes, and legs. Add tiny Shimmering Pearl Lt. Blue dots on body.
- 8. Bee: Base head, body, antennae, and legs Lamp Black. Add Cadmium Yellow stripes to body. Paint wings in same manner as dragonfly. Use White to paint face details.
- 1. Flower: Place pattern on tote as shown and use pencil to lightly trace around petals. Base petals Cadmium Yellow and stipple center Tangerine. Let dry thoroughly. Use oval wash to float Antique Gold to divide petals and under fold of one petal; deepen with Burnt Sienna. Float White wishy-washy highlights in middle of each petal in same manner as Apron flower highlights. Use wave brush to rake thinned Burnt Sienna around flower center pulling from center edge out.
- 2. Use deerfoot to stipple fresh coat Cadmium Yellow on flower center; while wet, stipple Bittersweet Orange shading along bottom and White highlight along top. Pull Burnt Sienna stamen and anther.
- 3. Tree Frog: Base belly with mix of White and Cadmium Yellow (6:1); base remainder of frog Hauser Lt. Green. Base eyes and feet Tangerine. Use Lamp Black to outline eyes Lamp Black and to base pupils. Use White to outline top of eye with same mix as belly.
- 4. Shade white section under belly with very thin Lamp Black. Shade Hauser Dk. Green on green sections of body. Use belly mix to float glossy highlights along arm, back of leg, a little bit on face, and around pupil. Brighten with White comma stroke highlights and dots. Cast Antique Gold shadow on flower.
- 5. Checked Border: Use #14 shader to stroke Cadmium Yellow checks along top edge of bag spacing evenly apart.
- 1. Allow paint to cure 48 hours. Follow paint manufacturer’s directions for laundering. Apply two to three varnish coats on terra cotta pots, watering can, and kneeling pad.
- 1. 1 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped
- 2. 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3. 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 4. 1 tsp. baking soda
- 5. 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6. 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 7. 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 8. 3/4 cup safflower or canola oil
- 9. 1-1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 10. 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple; do not drain
- 11. 2 cups mashed ripe bananas; three to four medium sized bananas
- 1. Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Place rack in center of oven. Butter or spray two 9”x2” round cake pans. Place pecans on baking sheet and bake in oven about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and chop finely; set aside. In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon; set aside. In another large bowl, mix together eggs, oil, vanilla extract, pineapple, mashed bananas, and finely chopped pecans. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture and stir until combined. Divide batter evenly between cake pans and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack 10 minutes; invert cakes onto wire rack and remove pans. Cool completely.
Pecan Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1. Pecan Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2. 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3. 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 4. 1 lb. box (about 3-2/3 cups) confectioners sugar
- 5. 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 6. 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1. In bowl, beat butter and cream cheese on low speed until very smooth with no lumps. Gradually add sifted powdered sugar and beat on low speed until fully incorporated and smooth. Beat in vanilla extract and finely chopped pecans.
- 1. Place one cake, top side down, onto serving platter; spread with third of frosting. Gently place remaining cake, top side up, on top. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides. Garnish with pecan halves to decorate. Refrigerate cake about one hour allowing frosting to set.