Mystery, Part I
- DecoArt: SoSoft Fabric Acrylics: Antique Gold, Avocado Green, Bittersweet Orange, Brown, Buttermilk, Cadmium Orange,
Cadmium Yellow, Olive Green, Peaches & Cream, Pistachio Green, Red Pepper, White; SoSoft Metallics: Bright Blue Metallic,
Imperial Gold Metallic
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell: La Corneille Golden Taklon: Script
Liner, Series 7050, #1; Fabric Brushes: Flat, Series FAB 6F, 8F,
12F; Stencil, Series 225, 1/2”;
White Nylon: Shader, Series 796, #10
- DecoArt Mediums: Transparent Medium
- Climbing vine stencil or stencil of
- Placemat: Light green with darker
- 1. Wash placemat; do not use fabric
softeners or drying sheets. Iron if
- 2. Trace pattern; transfer basic details onto placemat.
- 1. Use wet-into-wet technique to paint leaves, flowers, branches, and background. Apply a layer of Transparent Medium first to allow paint to move easier, then scrub in color as instructed.
- 1. Working approximately six leaves at a time, use #8F to apply even coat Medium and scrub into surface. Use same brush and Avocado Green to scrub shadow areas along bottom of leaves and up through center. Alternate one of the following four colors and scrub along upper edge of leaves and through center: Antique Gold, Pistachio Green, Cadmium Yellow, or equal mix of Buttermilk + Avocado Green. Using same brush, scrub Buttermilk into highlight areas. (Note: This will pick up wet color underneath to give some nice golds and olives.) Reinforce deepest shadows using one of the following three colors: Olive Green, Brown, or Bright Blue Metallic. Continue same for remaining leaves.
- 1. Working approximately three flowers at a time, use #8F to apply even coat Medium and scrub into surface. Use same brush and Cadmium Orange to scrub around flower center working approximately half way up each petal.
Use Peaches & Cream to scrub outer
edges of petal, working towards and
meeting orange in middle. Reinforce
shadows with mix of Bittersweet Orange
+ tch. of Brown. Using same brush, scrub
Buttermilk or mix of Cadmium Yellow +
tch. of Buttermilk to reinforce highlights.
- 2. Use liner and Brown to dab centers Brown; highlight with dabs of Buttermilk. Using same brush, line stamens with mix of Brown + tch. of Olive Green.
- 3. Repeat entire process for remaining
- 1. Use #6F to apply Medium in same manner. Use chisel edge of same brush to paint branches: use equal mix of Brown + Bright Blue to scrub in shaded areas and use Buttermilk to add highlights.
- 1. Apply Medium to background areas along bottom and up approximately half way along left side. Randomly scrub in Olive Green, Bright Blue, Avocado Green, and Pistachio Nut. Let dry thoroughly.
- 1. Use #12F to undercoat Buttermilk. Let
dry. Base Cadmium Orange. Float Red
Pepper shadow along bottom; reinforce
with Brown. Float Peaches & Cream
highlight across top.
- 1. For border, apply adhesive to back of
stencil; allow to dry and pat off excess
spray with paper towel. Press stencil
firmly in place. Use stencil brush and
mix of Medium + Avocado Green (2:1)
to pick up small amount of paint; pat
on palette to remove excess, and use
straight up and down motion to pat over
open areas of stencil applying two thin
coats. (Note: Applying paint too heavily
will cause color to bleed under stencil
edges.) Repeat as needed to complete
- 2. Use liner and equal mix of Bittersweet
Orange + Brown to band design. Let dry. Reinforce band with Imperial Gold Metallic.
- 3. Follow manufacturer’s directions for care of hand painted pieces.