Cookies for Santa Plate
- Bear With Us, Inc. Tree Plate (#1702)
- DecoArt Palette Traditions: Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Christmas Red, French Vanilla, Hauser Green Medium, Light Grey, Mushroom, Naphthol Crimson, Pure Black, Raw Sienna, Titanium White, True Burgundy
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Brushes: Series 7300 Shaders #6, 16; Series 7500 Filbert #12; Series 7000 Round #1; Series 7050 Script Liner 18/0, 10/0; Series 7600 Oval Wash 1/2”, 3/4”; Series 7200 Fan #4; Series 7520 Filbert Rake 1/4”, 1/2”; Series DM Stippler 1/4”, 3/8”; Series 3850 Deerfoot 1/4”; Series 270 Maxine’s Mops 3/4”; Comfort Grip
- Glazing medium
- Sealer and satin varnish
fine sanding sponges, graphite, stylus, pencil, tracing paper, container of water, paper towel
- 1. All drybrushing is done using bright, wiping most paint off on dry paper towel, and gently rubbing area until desired look is achieved. Use flat shader, dressed with touch of Glazing Medium, to do floats. Soften all floats by gently pouncing mop brush over water’s edge, until almost dry. Use 10/0 or 20/0 liner for all line work, thinning paint to ink consistency and fully-loading brush. Always “blot” paintbrush tip on paper towel to remove excess paint and “sharpen” tip for pointed end.
- 1. Sand and seal plate. Let cure overnight. Sand again, wipe away dust.
- 2. Basecoat center of plate Hauser Dark Green; while still wet, pick up Pure Black and work into wet paint. Basecoat outer edges of plate; while still wet, pick up Titanium White and work into wet paint, melding with dark center, achieving soft connection where two colors meet. Let dry; sand lightly.
- 3. Print out patterns. Lightly transfer design. Basecoat face Flesh and hair, beard, and fur trim Light Grey. Transfer details. (Note: To create Flesh, mix 3:1 mixture of French Vanilla + Burnt Sienna.)
- 1. Float shades under hat, cheeks, moustache, and eye pleats with Burnt Sienna. Float cheeks and nose with Naphthol Crimson. Drybrush highlights with Titanium White using DM Stippler. Outline details with Pure Black using 20/0 liner. Add bold comma strokes for highlights on nose and cheeks.
- 2. Float all shades with Pure Black on beard, moustache, and fur trim. Stroke on markings with Pure Black and Titanium White using #1 liner and 10/0 liner for shorter markings. Stipple on fur trim in Titanium White + Pure Black using 1/4” deerfoot with toe loaded with white and heel loaded with Black.
- 3. Stipple on cookies with triple load of Raw Sienna + Burnt Sienna + French Vanilla using deerfoot. Drybrush center area with French Vanilla. Float super narrow cracks with Burnt Umber. Float around all cookies with brush mix of Burnt Umber + Burnt Sienna making darker on side away from Santa. Darken with second coat. Tap in chocolate chips with Burnt Umber. Highlight chocolate chips with French Vanilla and shade with brush mix of Brunt Umber + Pure Black.
- 4. Float to cast shadow on green background, along one side of cookie (away from Santa) with brush mix of Hauser Green + Pure Black. Basecoat and detail crumbs on Santa’s beard using same steps for cookies. Stroke on drool with Titanium White.
- 5. Basecoat lettering True Burgundy. Stroke highlight with Christmas Red. Scatter sparkles in Titanium White using 20/0 liner.
- 1. Let paint cure overnight. Apply two coats satin varnish. Let dry. (Note: To make plate food-safe, seal plate with beeswax or line plate with plastic wrap.)
- 1. For ordering information for tree plate, visit www.bearwithusinc.com.