Teeko the Polar Bear Softie
- Fabric scraps: white, light blue
- Fairfield Soft Touch Polyfil Supreme Fiberfill
- Sewing machine and thread
- Embroidery needle and black sewing thread
scissors, straight pins, turning tools, fabric marker, tracing and transfer pape
- 1. All seam allowances are 1/4”. Lock in stitches at beginning and end to prevent unraveling.
- 1. Print out patterns. Trace pattern pieces onto tracing paper and align with fabric. Pin pieces together and cut patterns from fabric. (Note: Cut ear line on side pieces and also mark nose dots for proper placement.)
- 2. Position two ear pieces right sides facing; sew from one corner around to other corner, leaving bottom open to turn. Repeat with other ear and tail.
- 3. Position one body side face up and one ear face down on top so raw edge of ear lines up to cut mark on head. Fold over head portion to cover ear and sew ear in place. Repeat on other side.
- 4. Position one body side face up again and now place belly piece right side down. Line up front and back feet and pin in place. Repeat this on other side. Once both sides are pinned to belly piece, sew them in place from neck, around each paw, and up backside. (Note: Always sew from front to back to prevent twisting or pulling.)
- 5. Fold top of head piece in half lengthwise, with wrong sides facing together. Line up dot on top head piece to other dot on body side pieces. Tack along end (on nose) of this piece in place. Sew one side from nose to back of head and repeat on other side.
- 6. Sew chin by sewing just under nose down to chest where belly piece starts. (Note: Make sure tips or ends of any connecting pieces are sticking out of seam away from body so it will remain hidden once turned right side out.)
- 7. Sew section from back of head to middle of back together.
- 8. Leave about 1-1/2” opening for turning and stuffing. Sew from end of opening to end of tail area. Position tail into tiny opening so tail is on inside and raw edges are lined up. Press open seams; lay flat and sew in place.
- 9. Clip around bear at 1/4” intervals and notch right angles to prevent tearing or stress once stuffed. Stuff each section of bear, being sure to not overstuff, so that legs are sufficiently firm.
- 10. With embroidery floss and needle, add tiny eyes, mouth, and nose on face. (Note: Leaving back open during this step will allow you to hide initial knot for nose.) For nose, make triangle shape first and stitch from side to side, top to bottom, until triangle is filled with thread. Stitch mouth on both sides before knotting ends. For eyes, insert thread through both sides of head so two 4” lengths are on either side of head. Tie each side twice with double knots. Position both strands together and tie one large knot; rethread needle and hide floss ends under eye and out through head. Clip thread ends.
- 11. Using ladder stitch, hand sew back of bear closed.