For Someone Special Stocking
- Red print fabric, 1/2 yd.
- Green gingham, 1/8 yd.
- White/red polka dot fabric, scrap
- Polyform Premo! Sculpey Clay: Cadmium Red Hue; Premo! Accents Clay: Gold, Silver
- Polyester stuffing, small amount
- Wrights Maxi Cord Piping: White
- National Nonwovens WoolFelt, scrap: Pea Soup
- Matching thread
- Silver glitter
- Kreinik Fine #8 Braid: Chartreuse (015)
- Silver wire
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylic Paint: Hauser Medium Green: DuraClear Satin Varnish
- Clear Stamps: Technique Tuesday Start Me Up Main Street
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- Aleene’s Fabric Fusion
- Optional: clay pasta roller
scissors, sewing machine, needle, iron, craft knife, scalloped rotary cutter and self-healing mat, toothpick, paper towel
- 1. Print out patterns. Cut out fabric and batting according to pattern directions.
- 2. Machine quilt batting onto stocking front piece. (Note: Diagonal quilting is shown in photo.)
- 3. Appliqué stocking heel and toe with zigzag stitch onto stocking front piece using machine.
- 4. Iron polka dot rectangle edges under 1/2”. Topstitch in place on front of stocking 3-1/2” down from top of stocking.
- 5. With right sides together, stitch stocking cuff to top edge of stocking front. Repeat process with stocking back piece. Press open seams.
- 6. Using scalloped rotary cutter, cut 3/4”x7” strip from Pea Soup felt. Baste edges of strip on seam allowance so Pea Soup strip is centered across polka dot strip.
- 7. To make stocking hanger, cut 8”x2-1/2” polka dot fabric strip. Fold over edges and press. Fold in half again and press. Topstitch open edges together. Fold strip in half and place raw edges against outside edge of top of polka dot strip. Pin and baste stitch into place.
- 8. Take piping out of package and baste stitch around all edges of front of stocking. Pin front of stocking to back of stocking keeping right sides together. (Note: As you stitch, stay very close to piping edge.)
- 9. Before turning right side out, fold raw edges of stocking cuff under 1/2” and press. Fold cuff edge down to seam where stocking and cuff meet. With needle and thread, whipstitch edge to inside seam.
- 10. Turn stocking right side out. With needle and chartreuse floss, stitch running stitch 3/8” from edge of cuff. Turn cuff down so bottom of cuff is about 2” above polka dot strip. Press lightly.
- 1. On clean work surface, roll Cadmium Red Hue, Gold, and Silver clays in hands until soft and pliable. Use craft knife to hand cut five small stars. (Note: It looks best if stars are imperfect and do not match.) Press stars with texture stamp or knuckles to add dimension and poke hole on end with toothpick. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake stars on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool.
- 2. On covered work surface, apply satin varnish on stars. While still wet, sprinkle with silver glitter. Let dry. Apply second coat sealer. Let dry.
- 3. Roll Silver clay into 1”x2-1/2” rectangle. Use lowercase clear alphabet stamps to press letters into rectangle for name. Use toothpick to poke holes on each side of tag. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake nametag same as stars. When cool, rub Hauser Medium Green across name; wipe excess paint with paper towel. Let dry. Apply satin varnish on nametag. Let dry.
- 4. Using Chartreuse braid and sewing needle, attach nametag onto center of Pea Soup felt strip. Attach clay stars onto top of stocking under cuff, varying lengths, using sewing thread and knotting thread ends on back of holes in stars.