Santa in the Chimney
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 3-13/16”x2-13/16” egg; two 1-1/2” balls; two 2-1/2” balls; 1/2 of a Project Brick Kit
- National Nonwovens Wool Wisps: 4 oz. pkgs.: Natural, Red, Green
- Tan wool felt, 9”x12”
- Fabric scraps, 2” square
- Natural jute, 1/2 yd.
- Polyester stuffing, small amount
- Gold embroidery floss, 1 yd.
- Buttons: 2-1/2” green, 3/8” rust
- Black beads, two 8mm
- Embroidery needle
- Needle felt pen tool
- Toothpicks, four round
- Acrylic paint: red, black
- Pink chalk
- Beacon Adhesives Fabri-tac
- Low-temp glue gun & glue sticks
scissors, foam base to needle felt on, knife, pencil, ruler, freezer or tracing paper, paintbrush
- 1. Using glue gun, glue bricks into 11 rows of three and 11 rows of four. Glue rows together, alternating three and four rows staggering bricks. Repeat for second group of 11 bricks. Cut excess evenly off either side.
- 2. Use some excess brick pieces to make 11 rows of 1 and a 1/2 bricks. Glue together. Alternate with 11 rows of one brick to make two chimney ends.
- 3. Glue sides between ends of front and back of chimney. Glue extra row of bricks around top of chimney. Paint between brick joints with black paint. While still wet, paint over bricks with red paint. Let dry.
- 1. Prepare foam by cutting egg in half for body. Cut one 1-1/2” ball in half for hands. Flatten both ends of body by pressing with fingers.
- 2. Cover 2-1/2” head ball loosely with natural wool wisps adding extra when needed. Felt head, covering all areas. Insert eye beads by dotting with glue and pushing into foam 1/2” apart. Pull 12” strip of wool. Fold into thirds, smoothing wool into oval. Glue to front of face for beard. Cut 3” piece of wool for mustache. Twist tightly in center. Glue under eyes. Apply pink chalk between eyes for nose and under mustache for mouth.
- 3. Needle-felt section of red wool wisps on foam. Print out patterns. Form hat from needle-felted red section. Fold hat in half, needle-felting back seam together. Position hat on head. Wrap 1-1/2”-wide strip of natural wool around hat brim; glue ends on back of head. Needle-felt natural wool into small ball; glue ball on end of hat. Fold hat over. Insert toothpick between hat top and head. Sew floss through buttons. Glue buttons on hat brim.
- 4. Cover body loosely with Red wool wisps adding extra when needed. Felt all over. Insert toothpick into top of wide end of body and bottom of head. Push pieces together firmly.
- 5. Roll 1-1/2”-wide strip of Red wool. Cut two 4” lengths. Cover hand ball halves with Green and needle felt. Glue hands on ends of arms. Pull 1-1/2” strip of Natural wool and wrap around end of arm. Cut off excess; spot glue to secure. Repeat for other arm. Needle-felt arms onto either side of body.
- 6. For bag, cut felt piece in half. Fold in half and round corners; glue along edge and gently stuff with polyester stuffing. Cut two 1” fabric squares and glue onto bag; add buttons. Tie bag shut with jute. Trim ends and untwist.
- 7. Position Santa in chimney. Use toothpick to secure bag in chimney.
- 1. Add glue to toothpick ends before inserting into foam pieces to secure.